PDA

View Full Version : Header wrap

Legend_master
07-01-2013, 10:29 AM
I noticed my header was putting a lot of heat toward the cold side of the AC lines. I wrapped the line in 500 degree capable foam insulator. That melted, and helped me understand how much heat is coming off the header. I decided to wrap the header. We just got a cold front (85 outside is cold in Texas lol), so when that passed I will see how much it helps the ac.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/8474FCBF-2A77-43FE-A7A9-E09A96F558D8-3864-0000023BC535A2BB_zpsc8559738.jpg

lostforawhile
07-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I noticed my header was putting a lot of heat toward the cold side of the AC lines. I wrapped the line in 500 degree capable foam insulator. That melted, and helped me understand how much heat is coming off the header. I decided to wrap the header. We just got a cold front (85 outside is cold in Texas lol), so when that passed I will see how much it helps the ac.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/8474FCBF-2A77-43FE-A7A9-E09A96F558D8-3864-0000023BC535A2BB_zpsc8559738.jpgunless you have a stainless steel header, thats a bad idea, they hold moisture and start rusting, best is to have them jett hot coated, thats what I plan to do

Legend_master
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
It is stainless steal, I'd like to get them ceramic coated and wrapped. I need to coat the whole exhaust as it is creating a lot of floor pan heat.

2oodoor
07-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Not to contradict you but isn't header wrap somewhat of a mesh material that does slowly heat sink eventually? If it were used on a DD, any moisture seems like it would cook out , that is if there were any condensation to begin with.
I have seen the rust issue on Ford headers and agree wrap could pose a problem but when are condtions right fot it to occur is worth exploring.
Other solutions for the heat shield would be a... Heat shield. Ewe

Legend_master
07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I read mixed opinions, I also wondered about the heat causing the moisture to evaporate. I could not bring myself to install a heatshield on there lol.

2oodoor
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Some of that nice residential evap line foil pipe insulation might not be too funky but to install it right the system would need opening and recharged. Ive seen similar type material on late model usdm stuff but not a lot of it in one place.
Edit: the late model stuff also have dirt shields up the wazoo so there is very little sand and dust under the hood much.

lostforawhile
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Not to contradict you but isn't header wrap somewhat of a mesh material that does slowly heat sink eventually? If it were used on a DD, any moisture seems like it would cook out , that is if there were any condensation to begin with.
I have seen the rust issue on Ford headers and agree wrap could pose a problem but when are condtions right fot it to occur is worth exploring.
Other solutions for the heat shield would be a... Heat shield. Ewe

wrap blocks heat, but it's terrible for headers, it voids the warranty of every header maker I know of, the ceramic coating is applied on both the inside and outside of the pipe, and actually protects the metal, plus if keeps the heat in the pipe, it's not cheap, but it's about the best thing you can do to a header

Dr_Snooz
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
I wrapped the line in 500 degree capable foam insulator. That melted,

The field rats ate mine. But only on the top where they could dine leisurely without falling off. LOL