PDA

View Full Version : 88 LX has been acting funny lately

SilverWolf1898
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
So I have an 88 Accord LX with the A20 engine and an automatic tranny. I bought the car back in February. It's always had some little quirks, but lately it's been a bit more problematic. Going uphill the car has very little power. I was recently going through a pass and I was having trouble maintaining even 45 mph with the pedal all the way to the floor, trying both third gear and overdrive. It's gotten pretty bad on level ground as well. When I first take off, it feels like I have no power whatsoever. It'll roll at like idle speed (again, with the pedal to the floor) then, I think when it hits second, it'll take right off like a bat out of hell with no problems. It doesn't do that nearly as much once it's been warmed up, unless it's been sitting for a little bit. I find the whole thing really perplexing and I'm hoping it's nothing major. I'm not the most mechanically savvy, but I'm willing to try anything I'm able to do to get her going strong again and I appreciate any advice.

charliekuney
07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
My friend had the same problem in her 1986 LX. Turned out to be the carb fuel float?

ghettogeddy
07-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Ya might need a carb overhaul

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2oodoor
07-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I have noticed that when the throttle valve cable that goes to the transmission is way out of adjustment or completly disconnected, these cars seem to be locked in between gears which would be like in two gears at once which feels like you're holding the brake. I would get out some wd 40 and remove the air filter box completley then spray everything down that loooks like its supposd to move. Check alk the vacuum lines too while the air box is off.

SilverWolf1898
07-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Well, I've run a can of Seafoam or two through it, but it makes sense that it wouldn't take care of every carb related issue. So basically, I should open her up to expose the carburetor and make sure everything down there is nice and lubed up? I think I can handle that.

ghettogeddy
07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
could be a loose venturi (sp) I had the same issue on my old 88 and every time I took a sharp turn I would lean out and die or just sputter. lol

http://www.3geez.com/forum/carb-tech/48568-serious-problems-loose-booster-venturi-carb-icing-throttle-stick-dieseling.html