PDA

View Full Version : sorry if this don't belong here, i think it does though

si accord
11-05-2002, 09:44 PM
alright, my car is sittin at school right now in the shop, i took my cv axle out so i could go exchange it for another one, i got my new one and i'm ready to go put it in tomorrow, but i had a question, when i pulled the axle out of the transmission, no fluid poured ever where like people said would happen, just a lil bit, not even enuff to notice really maybe like the size of a half dollar on the floor under it, is sumthin wrong??? did i not have enuff transmission fluid or what not, i dunno, i would just like to find out so i can hurry up and get it fixed, i have some dexron-III mercon premium transmission fluid, i have like a whole case leftover from when my brother was swappin a 350 in his le mans, will this work fine or should i use some other type, and my cars a 5-speed how much trans fluid should it hold, thanx alot, i need to get this finished so i'm not driving my moms car, berettas suck

opie

86AccordLxi
11-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Your tranny oil should be something like 10W-30 (regular oil). I don't think you're supposed to use Dexron III.

Alex

si accord
11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
i just use regular oil????whatever you say, i'll try it , how much does it hold???, its a 5 speed

86AccordLxi
11-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Do you have an owner's manual? All your questions should be answered there.

Alex

si accord
11-05-2002, 10:59 PM
yea, i do, thanx, i'll try checkin that out

opie

si accord
11-05-2002, 11:00 PM
nevermind, i just got up to go get it and i really feel stupid, i forgot my car is at school but yea, i got an owners manual , its just in my glove box, god im so fuckin stupid

opie

ACCORD EX
11-06-2002, 05:20 AM
may be of you are change one shaft and you car is raised really high from one side so the fluid won't come out !

MIKE

Neuspeed87lx
11-06-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by si accord
nevermind, i just got up to go get it and i really feel stupid, i forgot my car is at school but yea, i got an owners manual , its just in my glove box, god im so fuckin stupid

opie

hahaha:tongue: :lol

pearldrop
11-06-2002, 07:52 AM
Fluid should pour out when you remove those so it sounds like it was really low. If I were you I would run some oil through it and drain it just to clean it out a little bit. When you fill it up you have to use a funnel with a hose on it and you just fill it until the oil comes out of the hole. You can't overfill them.

markmdz89hatch
11-06-2002, 08:47 AM
pearl is right. You should use just regular 10 wieght motor oil for the 5spd tranny. A dead empty tranny will take just over 2qts. but if you don't drain it, and just pop the axle out, you should lose only about 1/2qt. Yeah, Accord EX is right, you could have just raised it up enough to keep from the oil draining out.

Either way, if it was low, it doesn't matter b/c (also as Pearl wrote), you'll need to "inject" the tranny with more fluid to replace what you lost, and he's right again, there's no way to overfill this tranny. When it starts leaking out of the filler hole, it's full.

Good luck, and report back with ur findings.

jteuton
11-06-2002, 09:23 AM
dexron III is for automatics and is WAY too lite for your 5-spd....talk about an instant kill.