PDA

View Full Version : New O2 sensors strange symptoms (89 LXi 5 Speed)

gsimpson89
07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Hello all! This is my first post on here. I have solved a lot of issues reading other questions on here but this one stumps me. I recently installed new O2 sensors in my 1989 Accord LXi 5 Speed in an attempt to pass smog. After getting the damned things unstuck I cleaned my spark plugs and then seafoamed, and set my ignition timing to the correct degrees. Started up for the drive home from my friend's house and everything was superb. Car was smoother, seemed to have a little more power.

Once I got to the highway things were kind of strange. As I approached 3k rpm the engine would cut back. I could not go past 70mph if I tried. If I let off the gas and climbed back up to 3k there was no problem. It was almost like there was some kind of limiter being activated. About 15 miles in to the drive my car has a slight jerk and then the check engine light comes on. Now I can rev past 3k and go as fast as I want, but the car feels like it did before I replaced the O2 sensors.

Could that have been the computer struggling to adjust to the new readings from fresh sensors? If I turn off the car and turn it back on the light remains off for some time.

Jafir
07-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Code?

gsimpson89
07-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I went ahead and got new spark plugs since they were cheap and the wiring for them. So I know it is not the plugs.

I just checked the code. It is reading "Oxygen Content B" which means one of the new O2 sensors is having an issue. I will try to reset the ECU and see if the problem persists. If so I will swap the wiring for the sensors...if that doesn't work not sure what to do. I have a multimeter but I don't know where to hook it up to test voltage

gsimpson89
07-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Well I feel like a noob haha!

It was the wiring. All I did was switch them up. Hope this potentially helps anyone who runs into this issue in the future

Oldblueaccord
07-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Yes if you switch the wire plugs on the O2 sensors it will run funny around 3000k rpm like you said. Good find.

JdmCA9
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
If you don't mind me asking which color green or white is supposed to plug into driverside?

gsimpson89
08-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure white

poorman212
08-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Yes, Drivers side O2 = White