PDA

View Full Version : Steering and driving problems

Jetdriver1975
11-06-2002, 06:22 AM
Hey guys, I've got a 1989 Accord LXi, Auto -

A couple of the puzzlers I have right now mainly concerning the steering system. When I got this car, there was a shimmy in the steering wheel once you hit about 45 mph. Not really a vibration, but you can definately feel the steering wheel moving while going straight. Kind of feels like the wheels are out of balance. It gets pretty noticable until about 55 mph, when it smooths out. I haven't had it above 60mph, so I'm not sure what happens above that. But the smoothing out part is what gets me, shouldn't it get worse the faster you go if its a balance problem? It also seems to get worse right after the car shifts (which happens around 45 mph, then kind of goes away at 55)

I don't have any directional control problems, so I don't believe there is any play in the steering wheel.

Another problem I have is the power steering seems to be inconsistent. For example, when I back out of my drive way in the morning, I get a good amount of assist. When I am at a stop, I get a good amount of assist as well. But as soon as I start moving, its kind of like the power steering is "searching" for the right amount of assist. Whenever I turn the wheel around a corner, its not a smooth amount of assist. It kind of pulses, but not consistently. I already replaced the pump and its my understanding that the lines have been replaced as well.

Finally, with the same problem, whenever the cars transmission (auto) shifts, I can really feel it in the steering wheel - like a significant amount of torque is being transmitted through the steering...

By the way, the car was in a front end accident earlier in its life, but was repaired by a body shop a few years ago. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Robin

smufguy
11-06-2002, 07:44 AM
1. first things to check on a front end collision is ur toe ends, tir rods (steering rod) and ur radius rods(the ones that go from the bottom of the front hub to the front brace that holds ur front engine mount). Check to see if they are bent or unscrewed. I would suggest that u go give it to an alignment shop and get it fixed.

2. If there is a large amount of torque steer, then probably as u know ur tranny shifts like fuck. Check ur auto tranny fluid. and change it. its better that u change the fluid.

3. Steering vibration could be due to some of the following
a) bad or worne out bushings
b) bad or worne out engine mounts (felt also at idle)
c) bad or worne or loose wheel bearings
If the car wont dart out staright (or pretty close to it) when u let go of the steering, then u defenitely need and alignment. Are the tire ware consistent on all wheels? how does the wear on the front wheel looks like?

3. THe power steering fluid might the culprit, since u said u changed the pump and the fluid, lemme ask u this. Did u use the pwr steering fluid that was recommended for honda alone? cause anything else would def fuck up. Pump: was the pump new or from the junk. If both are right, its ur rack. Before that, also check the tension on the belt.

Jetdriver1975
11-06-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the response - Basically, the guy who repaired the lines originally put tranny fluid in it, but when I replaced the pump, I refilled with Honda Power Steering fluid. The pump was new by the way - I've been sitting here thinking maybe its the power steering speed sensor? What do you think? I'll check all that other stuff you mentioned as well.

AZmike
11-06-2002, 08:18 AM
I've never heard of a speed sensor going bad. They can leak, but that's about it. I'd recommend that you flush your whole PS system to get all the bad fluid out. It's very important that you use the correct fluid.

And like smufguy said, check your belt tension. A loose belt can give you inconsistent assist too.

As for the vibration, since it is speed related I'm going to guess it's either your tires out of balance, wheel bearings, CV joints (anything that spins with the front wheels rather than the engine). If your motor mounts were bad you would get the vibration at certain rpms (most likely all rpms), not at certain speeds.

ACCORD EX
11-06-2002, 02:10 PM
btw when the wheels are out of balance ! the shaking is not related to increasing speed ! it can shake at a certain speed and goes away at a higher speed ! i know it's werd i know ! :werd:

MIKE

Jetdriver1975
11-06-2002, 04:25 PM
I guess the balance would be the cheapest and easiest route first - I'll try that. I really appreciate all your inputs -

Robin