PDA

View Full Version : Ok, whats going on with my power steering?

89accordlxi
11-06-2002, 07:09 AM
Ok, here's the deal. When turning the steering wheel, whether moving or not, my steering is moaning and groaning at me. My fluid is full and the power steering is working fine. Meaning still works smoothly. Is it the power steering itself or could it be the steering mechanisms going bad? This did happened about a month ago and it turned out that the fluid WAS low. So I added more and it went away. But now it is back and my fluid is full. Could I have damaged the steering mechanisms while driving it when the fluid was low?

Any suggestions????

Peace..

smufguy
11-06-2002, 07:37 AM
not really, swap the pump. The pump was the culprit on my uncle's 4g. the steering would kick back and whine like u said. If that wont work too, then ur rack is crapped out. U better wish its not.

AZmike
11-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Does this sound like the problem?

Service Bulletin Number: ASN144414/2 Bulletin Sequence Number: 007 Date of Bulletin: 01/91

NHTSA Item Number: 024210
Component: STEERING:POWER ASSIST
Summary:
NEW FRONT ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATION-1900 VOLVO 700 SERIES BB HIGH PITCHED MOAN,THIS NOISE SOMETIMES SHOWS UP ON 88-91 PRELUDES WHEN TURNING STEERING WHEEL SLOWLY IN EITHER DIRECTION,REPLACING THE P/S OUTLET HOSE USUALLY ELIMINATES THIS TYPE OF MOAN-1988-91 HONDA PRELUDES AND 1988-89 ACCORDS

If the fluid got really low and you ran it for a long time there is a chance you cooked your pump, but when I had a leak I ran my pump when the fluid was low and it still works fine.

89accordlxi
11-06-2002, 09:51 AM
thanks guys. I might have to try replacing the pump.

hey 89lxi4dr, which is the out let hose exactly. Is it the main ps hose. The one coming from the pump that goes across the front of the engine bends down near the battery and disappears, or is it something else. I just replaced that main hose a couple years ago because it was leaking. So I don't think its that.

Is replacing the pump hard? Should I get new or used from junk yard?

Thanks for any additional info

Peace out,.....

AZmike
11-06-2002, 10:04 AM
The outlet hose goes from the rack back to the little tank. The line that you are talking about is the high pressure feed line. If you raise the car and take the cover off the rack lines it is the biggest fitting (17 mm nut).

I had a leaky PS pump and tried 2 from my local yard. Both of them leaked too, but they pumped fine. You may want to consider picking up a pulley shaft seal for a pump if you get one from a salvage yard (which seems like a great way to save money to me). The pump is a pretty easy job, just be sure to have extra Honda PSF on hand.

89accordlxi
11-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Could someone please go to hondaautomotiveparts.com and tell me which #hose is the outlet hose. It would help me out a lot.. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks..

Peace out.

AZmike
11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
It might be #9 here:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+PIPES

but it's such a complex drawing it's hard to tell. Just like I said earlier, the outlet hose has the only 17mm nut on the steering rack. You could probably take that TSB into a dealer and they could get the you the right part.

smufguy
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
the outlet hose is the topmost hose near the valve cover. The bottom one is the feed from the resevoir.

89accordlxi
11-08-2002, 06:27 AM
89lxi4dr, yeah your right, that picture is very complex, that is why I was so confused and needed a second opinion on which one it was. Can I drive without the hose, because my 3g is the only car i have so I probably can't take off the hose before going to the dealer.

That would be kind of funny. I walk in the dealer with this hose in my hand and say do you have one of these. and they'll be like, where did you get this one from? And I'll be like, my car. Then they'll say. where's the car. And I'll be like right outside. And they'll be like WTF you can't be driving around with this hose off the car :)

Anyway, thanks again guys, I will probably change it this weekend and see what happens

later,
Peaceout

AZmike
11-08-2002, 11:58 AM
You probably shouldn't drive with it off since all the fluid would drain out of your rack and your seals probably wouldn't like that too much. You should be able to call them and describe what you're looking for and tell them abou the TSB and they should be able to tell you if they stock it and what it would cost.