PDA

View Full Version : u-joint explosion

hondaaccordlxi89
11-06-2002, 10:51 AM
i was trying to make a u-turn last night when i heard a loud bang and loss of p0ower then i got out and noticed tranny oil everywhere and called and got picked up. then to make it even worse when i came back somebody had egged my car.:pissed: what i think happened was the cv boot got old and tore then with no grease the u-joint had to let go.

markmdz89hatch
11-06-2002, 11:50 AM
wait wait, the same thing happened to my car the other day. I got under it and found tha all that had happened was the axle had popped out of the tranny about an inch. Check that out. If that's the case, there's a good chance that the axle is still good. However, you'll need a new seal ($15) from the local Honda dealer. This is sometimes an indication of a bad mount somewhere that's allowing excessive movement of the engine/tranny.

Immeraufdemhund
11-07-2002, 08:41 AM
some people have too many eggs with too much time on their hands.

smufguy
11-07-2002, 06:36 PM
how can u not realize u got a bad cv joint? Whenver u turn a car with a bad/torn cv boot, u hear it knocking? and its audible both with windows down and up.

hondaaccordlxi89
11-08-2002, 10:35 AM
it was not knocking at all. and the input shaft where the halfshaft comes out of the tranny shattered.