PDA

View Full Version : 89 lxi coupe automatic transmission not shifting when in drive until car is hot

mflo
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi. I've been reading through a bunch of threads about tranny problems but haven't heard one quite like mine yet.
Hoping some one can help.
I can put it into drive (and all the other gears– reverse works fine), it runs but it won't shift out of first for at least 20-30 min. It then takes a while to work up to the next gear, and so on. Once the car's been driven for about an hour everything works fine. Considering it's a hot summer in Richmond, VA, the warm up time seems excessive. I had a similar issue though not nearly so severe a few years ago, I replaced the fluid and used some Lucas additive. It seemed to solve the problem until this winter when the car sat for 3 weeks straight, after some rough shifting I noticed a slight leak around the engine seal, the fluid was a little low so I added some more Lucas. The leak went away but the shifting when cold issue stayed and is now getting noticeably worse. I'm dreading the day when it won't shift out of first at all. I don't have the money for a new tranny and just need the car to last another 6 months, any suggestions?

282,000 miles, car's been in the family since new. Engine runs fine, it always starts and it always gets me home.

Dr_Snooz
07-09-2013, 01:06 PM
That trans is done and at this point, anything you try will be as likely to make things worse as it will to make them better. You can try changing the fluid (use Honda fluid and no more Lucas), flushing and/or a TV cable adjustment, but don't be surprised if it renders the car completely inoperable. Have a bicycle on standby...

Sorry.

Legend_master
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Sadly what snooz said is true. After the basic auto transmission stuff you may be left with a completely busted transmission. Have you ever had the TV cable adjusted?