PDA

View Full Version : Question to all

mig88lxi
11-06-2002, 01:52 PM
How long has it taken you guys to hook ur cars up?? do u buy parts here and there and hook it up gradually? I'm a broke kat with a little bit of debt, that wants to hook his car up. Also whats the least and most u guys have spent on paint jobs?:confused:

89lxi95zx7
11-06-2002, 01:57 PM
i got a couple things done since sept.,mods found here can be done very cheap(not paint jobs)
clear tails-$12
intake-$46
clear bumper lghts-$3
mesh grill w/ fog inserts-$7
rims & tires-bout $420
muffler-$139
cd player-$50

PortugalHonda
11-06-2002, 02:17 PM
yeah same w me when i ha d my accord ... i usta buy stuff a li ttle bt at a time not all at once... college kids can't do that....

markmdz89hatch
11-06-2002, 02:21 PM
just make sure you don't do this:

89 DX Hatch=free
stereo system=$3500=Stolen
alarm=$500=Stolen
17's with tires=$1200=Stolen
Powerslot rotors=$120=Stolen
Custom upholstered doors and headliner=$50=trashed when stolen
New Paint=$500 (i did the prep work)=got f*ked when stolen
20% tint all around=$120=trashed when stolen

Don't let that happen to you. I've been building the car back up slowly, now it looks/performs better then ever before, and I did it all more tastefully, and economically, all with the very informed advise, and suggestions of the group here at 3Geez. Thanks guys.
:super:

mig88lxi
11-06-2002, 02:54 PM
shit that must have hurt, putting all that money into the car and then getting it stolen and trashed. What do you mean by prep work?? u sanded of the old color and stuff and the shop just did the paint work?? I'm new at this shit

socal3rdgen
11-06-2002, 03:02 PM
yeah just do it little by little. i usally rate it at whats the easiest and less costly to do. thats what i pick first then as i get more experienced i choose harder things. like putting in a camshaft without have a mechanic do it. i dont wan to pay labor. it will take time bro. i would say do the intake first then exahust . if your into performance.

mig88lxi
11-06-2002, 03:17 PM
yeah thats what i'll do, my car is alll stock except for the ngk spark plug wires ooooh and i've had my steelies all season long, i need to get the dents and scrapes fixed and then a paint job. Some dumb bitch hit me on the side of my back bumper and left big black streaks on my shit

RobT5580
11-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Im in the same boat as mark my other accord was broken into and the ignition was ripped out and then my system gone. I gave up on the car and bought my new coupe for $3200 then dumped wow i just added up about 5k in receipts since around may-aug. Damn i thought it was like 3500. My old car i did slowly but dont work because shit would break and never made any good progress with it.....So i have got a lot in my new coupe...

YK86
11-06-2002, 07:44 PM
With the 86, I didn't have much options since all these online stores weren't around, no 3geez, and the only places I can get stuff was local which=rip off. Most of the stuff I did over the first two years of owning it (had it for about 6 now). But the last two years have been great with ideas from 3geez and E-bay being a huge help too for getting good deals. If had the chance to do it again, I would be able to save way more money the second time around.

Actually, the 88 consisted of all "cheap" mods but it looked pretty good. Stuff like painted bumpers and mouldings, CRX lip, fogs, cut stock springs, power mirror conversion, were all mods for under $50.

jteuton
11-06-2002, 07:59 PM
that sucks that they stole your alarm system too.....thats a swift kick in the nuts......
well heres me......hold the crying till the end....
wheels and tires......$700
bodykit and wing.......$600
dc header.........around $300-400
flywheel.....................$400
cam..........................$140
exhaust......................$150
racing seats...............$500
act clutch kit................$350
5 spd tranny..................$400
short throw shifter...........$40
Nitrous Works ..................$500
Machine work.....................$250
Accel Coil.................................$35
Nology Wires...........................$175
Beru Silver Sparkplugs..............$35
Tachs....Gauges..........................$300
Custom Intake.............................$40
Misc Parts....................................$100
E-ram Supercharger Project..........$500
Cd Player.......................................$300
Sway Bars and Energy Sus..........$250
Ground Controls............................$330
Koni's............................................ .$210
.............and it keeps going and going......please don't anybody add that up and make me cry as well

88WhiteLX-i
11-06-2002, 09:33 PM
I feel your pain bro. It's like you don't realize that you spent that much money until you actually think about it. I don't even want to look at my receipts...

anchovies
11-06-2002, 11:16 PM
When something needs to be fixed on my car, I'll try to upgrade to performance stuff if applicable. So it's doesn't hurt the wallet that much because it's got to be fixed anyways.

87AccordsterLx
11-06-2002, 11:42 PM
ya thats really good advice... I try to do that too... most of the time the labor is what costs and if you can just throw in a performance part it usually doesnt cost that much more....

Well most of my mods were just gradual.... What I try to do is get some of the major things out of the way and then set goals as to what needs to be done next... for example I bought Sprint 2.25in lowering springs about 2 months ago and I havent been able to get the cash together for the struts to put them on yet... so thats next in line so I can get the drop going.... just figure out what is most important and work at it one mod at a time...

socal3rdgen
11-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
When something needs to be fixed on my car, I'll try to upgrade to performance stuff if applicable. So it's doesn't hurt the wallet that much because it's got to be fixed anyways.

yep thats the way i do it too. need a new clutch = performance. have a hole in the muffler? = cat back. Now my shocks are fucked = need koni's

HondaBoy
11-09-2002, 06:29 PM
ya i hearr ya bro. i have to hook my car up gradualy. i have got most of my stuff from junk yards. of course i hand pick everything. i dont just get whatever. i get the good stuff. i havent paid more than $50 at the junk yard so far. and other stuff like engine and transmission stuff and other major stuff i have gotten at pro shops. but ya i am still waiting to get my H4 conversion headlights. i hope to get the HID bulbs but they are expensive.

Defiant[YD]
11-09-2002, 06:40 PM
true dat. i know what u mean. it's so hard to spend so much money when u have none. gotta slowly start from scratch. work weekends, study every weeknight and weekday until u get ur degree.
hell, the first year i got my car, only mod i had was.... haha, can't think of anything. but after that year, i slowly invested bit by bit into stuff that would be appropriate for a car of this age. hehe, strobe lights in a family sedan! but still, i have a long ways to go compared to all the other peepz on this board.