PDA

View Full Version : Replacement part availability, rear brakes Drum vs Disk

conozo
07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
I would like to convert to rear disk brakes but i hesitate to since they were rare and wonder if replacement calipers and pads are going to be really hard to find in a couple years. Does anyone have any insight on this.

apache07x
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Well I personally can't guarantee anything about part availability but SEi models came with disc brakes. I don't think they will quit making service parts for a whole model IE: spark plugs, belts, brakes etc. Parts that aren't normal service parts yes they're already getting scarce such as door panels, cup holders, carpet etc. You're probably safe to make the switch. I hope so at least because I'm about to do it to one of mine too.

Legend_master
07-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I believe the calipers, pads, and disk are interchangeable between integras. I know you can also upgrade to legend calipers. Also rock auto has a TON of replacement parts.

Jafir
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
If you've got a DX, you'll also want to convert the front brakes too, which are the 88-89 LXi front brakes, or you might end up with too much braking power for the rear wheels.

conozo
07-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I believe the calipers, pads, and disk are interchangeable between integras. I know you can also upgrade to legend calipers. Also rock auto has a TON of replacement parts.

I did a quick look online and found that the rear rotor and pads are the same as integras, possibly a later civic and del sol. But the caliper seems to be 89 accord specific, i wonder what the real difference is.

If you've got a DX, you'll also want to convert the front brakes too, which are the 88-89 LXi front brakes, or you might end up with too much braking power for the rear wheels.

Yes, i am in the process of converting to FI and the bigger front brakes are already on.