PDA

View Full Version : new guy on the block

chiki1911
07-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi Im new to the whole blogging so i guess my question would be what would i look for when buying a third generation honda accord i like this are there any common issues to look for thanks for the info too.

Legend_master
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Basic stuff, brakes (rotted brake lines, wobbling steering wheel when braking, ect), suspension, transmission. 5 speeds tend to take the abuse of time better except the 5th gear. Look over all the ball joints especially the rear ones, and make sure bearings are in good order. Unless you are familiar with carburetor I would suggest getting an lxi so it will be fuel injected. Good luck on your search!

chiki1911
07-22-2013, 10:37 PM
ok thanks just bought my first third gen 1987 honda accord lx this one happens to be auto i thought i was going to hate the fact it wasnt standard but fell in love with the simple drive home so bought the car 600 bucks changed the oil and everything going to do the brakes next dont know when the last time they were done the fluid looks old so should i replace the rotors too and the drums or have them resurfaced what do you think

Dr_Snooz
07-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Congrats on the purchase! Post pics when you get a chance. For the brakes, definitely have them surfaced. If they are out of tolerance, the shop will call you and tell you so and you can buy new ones then. Also make sure to surface the new ones too or you'll have death wobbles like crazy.

Clockworkz
07-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I always replace my rotors with every brake job. If they are made to be that thick then I want them to be thick. I don't like paper thin rotors lol

And yes post some pics of the new honda!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

MessyHonda
07-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Im with clockworkz. Every time I do my Brakes I replace my rotors and pads mainly because I buy drilled and slotted rotors with EBC red pads. I also replace the fluid because brake fluid can have alot of water and can rust out your lines.

chiki1911
07-28-2013, 12:20 AM
you have to surface new rotors too?!?! right now was driving and started to hear a loud tapping noise thought i was gonna blow i knew it was the valves after calming down just really scared i thought i was lose my life savings but reading the repair manual gotta love it who ever invented the repair manual i say this Budweiser is for you. which ill need because i scared to do a valve lashing but it needs to be done if i want Hope (car) to keep running. o hey doc does that go for drums and rotors??

Clockworkz
07-28-2013, 12:51 AM
I've never heard of resurfacing new rotors. If people do that, I know I have yet to see it in my shop or with people I know.

Legend_master
07-28-2013, 08:52 AM
You just have to make sure to clean the factory coating off with brake cleaner when you buy new rotors.

chiki1911
07-28-2013, 04:07 PM
ok yea thanks for that yea i rebuilding the front calipers too and the rear drums as well

Blaaz
07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
I know there are a lot of folks out there with more mileage. My Accord has 281,000+ miles currently. Just wondering what mileage you got out of your brakes and clutch? My Accord went over 200k on stock brakes and clutch. There was still material left on the stock pads, but the rotors were wearing thin. Followed advice on the forum and replaced rotors with Brembo blanks.

Dr_Snooz
07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I've never heard of resurfacing new rotors. If people do that, I know I have yet to see it in my shop or with people I know.

To each his own, but when I bought new rotors, the store assured me that I didn't need to turn them. I believed them and put them on. It was a terrifying test drive and I pulled them immediately afterward to have them turned. If you're asking me, the best practice is to turn your new rotors.

As for drums, they so rarely wear out that you probably don't need to do anything with them.

chiki1911
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
well here are some pictures of the car and the valve lashing after i was done. :rockon:

But started it up and let it run for a second and yea think the connecting rods are the issue so plan on rebuilding the engine:violin:

derolph
08-02-2013, 06:27 AM
I took my 4th gen Accord to a brake shop last year to have rotors replaced. They did turn the new rotors. They said doing so just assures that the new rotors are perfectly flat. This was particularly significant with the 4th gen Accord since Honda designed the wheels in a way that makes rotor removal much more difficult and time consuming. So, to avoid the risk of incurring labor charges for a subsequent removal of rotors to turn them, turning the new ones before installation was done. However, I'm not sure that shop does this will all vehicles.