PDA

View Full Version : Can't find replacement Fan Thermosensor (radiator)

Slvproj3
07-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Has anyone out there had any luck finding a WORKING replacement Fan Thermosensor recently? I have tried to purchase one from several sources, including Honda sources, and they invariably test with no continuity, which is a conclusive test for a failed part. I even called Denso America, who makes the Honda OEM part, and spoke with tech support, who confirmed that no continuity is a bad part. This is the thermoresistor that is located in the bottom of the radiator. Since my cooling fan does not cycle (unless A/C is on) and when I jump the wires the fan comes on, I know this is the reason for the fan issue.

Last time I found a working part was a couple of years ago. I got a coolant leak, resulting in hot steam in the system, and the thermosensor stopped working after that. Lesson here: if you have a working thermosensor, take good care of your cooling system!

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Looks like Rock Auto has a few Beck/Arnley's in stock. If those don't work, then I don't know what to tell you.

Jafir
07-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Are you testing them when they are heated up?

I've seen bad fan timers.

Hauntd ca3
07-14-2013, 01:48 AM
you will probably have to check for continuity with the engine is hot. the chances are that it has a normally open bi metallic switch which will only close when hot enough.

Legend_master
07-14-2013, 10:09 AM
There is a whole write up in the shop manual under body electrical. Starting at 25-110 the fan timer control module section. It explains how to test this sensor.

lostforawhile
07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Has anyone out there had any luck finding a WORKING replacement Fan Thermosensor recently? I have tried to purchase one from several sources, including Honda sources, and they invariably test with no continuity, which is a conclusive test for a failed part. I even called Denso America, who makes the Honda OEM part, and spoke with tech support, who confirmed that no continuity is a bad part. This is the thermoresistor that is located in the bottom of the radiator. Since my cooling fan does not cycle (unless A/C is on) and when I jump the wires the fan comes on, I know this is the reason for the fan issue.

Last time I found a working part was a couple of years ago. I got a coolant leak, resulting in hot steam in the system, and the thermosensor stopped working after that. Lesson here: if you have a working thermosensor, take good care of your cooling system!

of course it tests with no continuity it has to be hot first,or your fan would run constantly

Buzo
07-15-2013, 05:57 AM
You can repair your thermo-sensor yourself. I repaired mine since the day I bought my car ~3 years ago and still working great.
Tools needed:
-Adremel with metal cutting disks
-A 60W soldering iron

The sensor has only two moving pieces inside, a piece of metal that changes its shape when it gets hot, and a piece of plastic used as an isolator.
the electric contact should be oxidized at this point of time so you just need to clean the two contacts and reassembly.

If interested, I can draw something quickly to tell you where to cut. (tried to explain with words but I couldn't)

Dr_Snooz
07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
^^^^:bow:

ecogabriel
07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
I have the used working one which I replaced when replacing the radiator....PM if you want it