PDA

View Full Version : Disabling steering column lock?

2ndGenGuy
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
I was wondering if there is any way to disable the steering column lock on this car that is quick and easy? Like just as easy as running a drill through something? I'd like to not take the whole ignition switch / locking mechanism apart if I don't have to. Is it just easier to drill out the two rivets and mount the ignition switch somewhere else?

I have to disable the column lock as per the rules of the race I'm running in next weekend with the 89 Coupe.

Thanks!

Legend_master
07-15-2013, 09:03 PM
I'd recommend removing the whole assembly. If any bit of the lock were to get stuck, you would be in serious trouble flying around a track. I once disabled one for a friend with a 4" lead pipe and leverage lol. It lasted a year or so before it locked his steering while driving. You could just remove it from the column, cut the locking pin, and re-install.

2ndGenGuy
07-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks, that sounds like what I'll have to do!

Dr_Snooz
07-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd recommend removing the whole assembly. If any bit of the lock were to get stuck, you would be in serious trouble flying around a track. I once disabled one for a friend with a 4" lead pipe and leverage lol. It lasted a year or so before it locked his steering while driving. You could just remove it from the column, cut the locking pin, and re-install.

Oh God! I'm puckered just reading about it.