PDA

View Full Version : Main fuel relay on a carbureted LX?

ItsaHonda
07-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I went out to cold start my 89 Accord LX on Saturday after it had sat for about a week and it started up as it always does (two pumps of the gas and it turns over within 2-3 seconds)... but this time it only ran for about 5 seconds and then it just shut off all of a sudden (didn't spit or sputter, just shut down as if I had turned the key off). I thought this to be strange as it had never stalled before. I tried to restart it and it just wouldn't turn over. It was cranking strong, but not even trying to turn over. I was getting spark and noticed that I wasn't smelling gas... so I thought maybe the fuel pump had given out. I left the car sit until this evening I had gotten an idea from a common issue that plagued the 4th gen Accords... the main fuel relay. The car wont start during the day when it's hot inside the cabin but will start just fine in the evening/night. So, even though the car is carbureted and not a 4th gen, I decided to test the theory anyway. I waited til night fall and went out to start it... sure enough, it fired right up and ran great. I took it for about a 30 minute drive on back country roads and even stopping and restarting the engine several times with no problems whatsoever.

Soo... do the carbureted 3rd gens have a MFR, and if so, are they prone to failure like on the 4th gens? If not, what else could be going on?

ItsaHonda
07-19-2013, 05:10 PM
No MFR in the carbureted Accords, so if the problem persists, it must be something else. So far, it's been cool and raining here so the car has started up and driven around with no issues (put about 30 miles on it yesterday). If it's hot at any point during the day tomorrow, I'll try to start it and see what it does. Could have just very well been a fluke thing that one time... we'll see.

lostforawhile
07-20-2013, 07:00 PM
carb has a safety relay, it "listens" for negative pulses from the dizzy to tell it to keep the fuel pump on, this is to stop you from becoming a crispy critter in a wreck. it should let the pump run for a couple of seconds when you first turn over the key,sometimes they go bad and stop doing this