PDA

View Full Version : battery light and gas light

accordfan
07-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Hey guys. Was wondering if you can help me out I just noticed my battery light doesn't come on anymore only sometimes but my car still starts does that mean my battery is about to die I need to get a new one. Also my gas light won't go on anymore. Maybe you guys can shine some light on this for me

Jafir
07-17-2013, 06:47 AM
I'd check bulbs. Normally if there is a brushes problem in the alternator, the light will come on. The light actually has very little to do with the battery.

accordfan
07-17-2013, 07:18 AM
So it could mean my altinator is going. What does it mean

Legend_master
07-17-2013, 07:51 AM
No, like he said it is most likely the bulb in the cluster.

accordfan
07-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Is there a way to change the bulbs I'm the cluster is there like a video or pictures. Do you guys know

Legend_master
07-17-2013, 08:53 AM
It is very easy. Click the link in my signature for the shop manual. It is a 32 meg download, and you will need a PDF viewer (most smart phones have one built in). There is a whole section about removing the cluster. You might consider upgrading to LEDs while you are at it.

Legend_master
07-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Page 21-63 explains how to remove the cluster.

apache07x
07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Is there a way to change the bulbs I'm the cluster is there like a video or pictures. Do you guys know

It's not too hard. Need to take the trim bezel / ring off around the instrument panel. Let me think....the little cover on top of the instrument panel needs to be popped off and there is 2 screws under there.

Take the mirror switch out and there is a screw under there.

Moon / sun roof switch if you got it or the blank plastic if not needs to come out just to the left of the mirror switch and there is a screw there.

The foglight / dimmer /rear defroster switches all come out as one unit and there's 2 screws under there.

Once you do that the trim / bezel ring will come off with some gentle persuasion then there are 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster in. Take those out. Once you pull it forward about an inch you have to reach behind the and unhook the speedo cable. Just a clip you push down on and it pops loose some cars are worse than others though depending on how much room you got to get your hand in there.

Then unplug it from the wiring harness and take the 2 screws loose that are holding the harness to the instrument panel. Now it should be completely loose. If you got it out it just goes back in reverse order obviously.

Not sure which 2 bulbs they are but or if you mean the one that illuminates the fuel gauge or the low fuel light? But there are 5. 194 bulbs and 2. 74 bulbs that illuminate the gauges on a 5 speed car and the indicator lights are a 37 or something like that. You get this far and the parts house can tell you what bulbs they are. I'd just replace them all while you got it out and go LED if you can afford to. I know you can replace all the indicator lights with the #74 twist locks and 74 bulbs if you go the LED way.

Not by one of my cars or I'd take a few pics for you but I may be able to later if you need it and weather permitting.

apache07x
07-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Page 21-63 explains how to remove the cluster.

^^^^^ Yeah that works too. Maybe one day I'll remember there is such a thing instead of just diving in. But probably not lol.

Legend_master
07-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I've removed the cluster so many times I could get it out in less then 10 minutes lol. I really only use the shops manual for wiring, everything else on the car I know by heart!

apache07x
07-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't know them that well yet but I'm getting there. I had to use the manual once on the B20 transmission when I had to have a hole in the housing welded shut and it didn't want to come apart for me. Then another time to set the timing marks right when I changed the head on the sedan. Other than that I just dive in. Been doing this stuff so long on various make and models I just know what to look for most of the time.

apache07x
07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I've removed the cluster so many times I could get it out in less then 10 minutes lol. I really only use the shops manual for wiring, everything else on the car I know by heart!

That sounds like me when I was racing mustangs / pintos. Easiest way to change your final gear ratio without a quick change was change the transmission. I could have one out and another back in at the track in about 20 minutes without air tools. First time my Dad went with me and I had to do it at the track he was shocked I changed it so quickly between the heat and feature races and then went and ran 4th in the feature at a track we hadn't ran before. lol

accordfan
07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
OK thank you guys I appreciate it :D