PDA

View Full Version : Odd boom from rear driver side wheel

firefighterwhite89
07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I was driving yesterday when all the sudden it sounded like something big like a hammer hit my rear drivers side wheel well, then the same tire started to sound like the front tires do when a caliper fails(constant pad/rotor scrape). After I stopped at a stop sign, it quit the scrubbing sound. Ever since, the scrubbing sound has been off and on and the boom has happened 3 more times randomly since. I'm assuming I have a wheel cylinder going out. Never had any issues from my rear brakes ever before. I looked under the car, behind the tire and noticed alittle brake fluid
On the inside of the wheel where the wheel cylinder goes. Could a wheel cylinder be the culprit for causing such boom noises?
I noticed twice after it popped, the brake pedal seemed kinda spongy when I depressed it, but would immediately pop back with the correct resistance and no longer be spongy. I'm only assuming its the wheel cylinder. They've not been changed for the whole 7 years I've had the car.

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I have no idea what it could be, but you better get in there and do a visual inspection pronto! You don't want to lose your brakes.

Take pics of what you find.

HLW
07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
The bang could have been one of the springs breaking. Snooz is right, you need to inspect the rear brakes to find what broke and fix it before you drive it much further.

2oodoor
07-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Also might want to check the rear upper cont arm and ball joint for sure , could have been a belt in the tire too, check for any tread separation.

firefighterwhite89
07-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Got two new wheel cylinders and a set of brake shoes. Gonna check out the wheel/brakes in an hour or so. Gotta get some brake drums though. :-\ forgot those somehow

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Dr_Snooz
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
When it comes to rear drums and shoes, I always do a visual inspection before purchasing the parts. They wear very slowly and seldom require replacement.