PDA

View Full Version : transmission/mounts issue?

vteckiller
07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
So i recently did a transmission swap roughly 6 months ago when the old one exploded. its a 1989 lxi m/t and it feels as though one of the mounts is lose or something like you step on it and you can hear/feel the motor go clunk then you let off and it goes clunk.. any suggestions? ive went around to every mount, (could have missed one thats why i am here) and it still makes no difference. the rear mount is new, the side mount looks find, and the front looks fine as well. and that lower one under the car is fine as well. i know i am missing something.. the dog bone maybe needs replaced bushings? they looked fine.

Legend_master
07-18-2013, 01:55 PM
A good way to test is put the car in 1st gear, while holding the brake; slowly engage the clutch. Have someone look/listen for the noise.

Dr_Snooz
07-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Double check your work. It's possible you left something loose. I'd start with the shift linkages under the car.

vteckiller
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
its not like something is just hitting its like the entire engine/trans is rocking going clunk as you step on it. and clunk as you let off. im sure all my bolts are nice and tight. i however may have forgot or left something out like you said double check work.

Jafir
07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Probably not your issue, but I'll mention it just in case, I've seen the front upper control arm bushings get so bad that you could grab the arm and slide it back and forth. Usually they'll squeak real badly before try get so loose they can knock around though.

vteckiller
07-18-2013, 05:57 PM
its most definitly like bolt/mount/trans related. its like it rocks back and forth. you step on the gas. it knocks backwards. until the pressure of the engine or is disengaged then it rocks back and knocks again. im starting to think i missed some bolts or they fell out already and im feeling for em and looking at the books it shows everything is there. maybe the dog bone is fried and isnt able to support it and just goes rockin back and forth. but i remember it happened before and i tightened these two bolts and it went away. i did that it still is doing it.
im totally frustrated with it. im sure its stupid simple once i find it.

Legend_master
07-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Did you try what I suggested?

AccordB20A
07-18-2013, 11:13 PM
bottom dog bone bolts in / tight?

vteckiller
07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
sry been busy working, im going to go through everything again uhg. and see what i missed if i missed anything. as far as the first gear and e brake thing. i gotta get my neighbor out when hes home lol. thanks for the ideas btw ppl.

Legend_master
07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
NOT THE E-Brake! use the actual brakes, as the engine will overpower the e-brake. It takes a little skill with a 5-spees, but it is possible. You can always setup a camera(smartphone) to record each engine mount as your doing it.

Oldblueaccord
07-26-2013, 08:39 AM
On p5-9 of my 1988 helms book there is a diagram with a sequence of how to tighten all the mounts 1,2,3,4 etc. Little bit confusing.