PDA

View Full Version : over revving

tony.moreno91
07-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey there. My name is tony and I have an 86 Honda Accord DX hatchback. I will post pics later but I have an over revving issue. Its fine when I hit the throttle but when I use the gas pedal it feels like the pedal gets stuck a bit. Also when I take the car out of gear, it will rev up to 4000 rpm's and hold there for about 2 secs. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
-Tony

Oldblueaccord
07-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey there. My name is tony and I have an 86 Honda Accord DX hatchback. I will post pics later but I have an over revving issue. Its fine when I hit the throttle but when I use the gas pedal it feels like the pedal gets stuck a bit. Also when I take the car out of gear, it will rev up to 4000 rpm's and hold there for about 2 secs. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
-Tony

The throttle is all controlled mechanically by a cable. There should be some slack at idle. The cable it self might be damaged or your throttle plates might be sticking a little. Hit the whole carb with some carb cleaner and relube the linkage and see what that gets you.

tony.moreno91
07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
ok ill try that but if there is no change should I just replace the cable and where is the best place to find a replacement?

Legend_master
07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
just verify the cable looms good. If it does not then you need to replace it. Junkyard, or rockauto would be a good place to find it online.

tony.moreno91
07-21-2013, 11:33 PM
alright will do and thanks for the advice i appreciate it