PDA

View Full Version : worst luck in the world

tyne89
11-06-2002, 09:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago i had been doing alot of highway driving and the car was running great as i had just done a general tune up on the car to get her ready for another michigan winter. Anyways I think when i was playing with the carb when I put it back togther I might have only hand tightend the gold nuts that hold the airbox to the top of the carb :stupid: . At some point one of the nuts came of the bolt, the gold screen moved over, and the nut fell down the secondary tube. A day or two later the car started to hesitate starting, smelled very rich, and sounded like a lawnmower when it drove. I went home and took things apart and kinda discovered what had happened. I took out the first 2 spark plugs which were black but looked normal and then I took out the third (cyclinder 2). The third spark must have taken quite a few direct hits from the 10mm nut because the prong was pushed all the way to the side so the the tip actually touch the wall of the plug while the center of the plug had only been pushed to the side without completely touching (close enough to make any spark useless). At this point I thought "OK well the nut must be in cyclinder 2 so Il just get a flash light and a magnetic pole and fish it out but first Il get the fourth plug out." I pulled out the fourth plug in cyclinder 1 and to my even greater suprise the prong had been struck by the bolt enought times to completely flatten it against the center of the plug. For a week my car had been operating on two cyclinders with the 10mm nut traveling between the cyclinders!!! :eek: I was unable to get the nut out so it can still be heard banging into the internals of my engine so Im afraid I might have to take the head completely off :rant: but atleast it give me an excuse to port and polish everything :super: . This still really sucks though. Il take some pictures of the plugs if anyones curious.

Neuspeed87lx
11-06-2002, 09:13 PM
ouch ...and your continuing to drive it ?

tyne89
11-06-2002, 09:28 PM
I have no choice some days. shes tough thought so Im not worried

89AccordNate
11-06-2002, 10:02 PM
You must have some strong nuts to be taking that kind of beating!

Nate.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-06-2002, 11:28 PM
OUCH!!! The pics I will have to see will be of what it looks like when you eventually pull the head off. :huh:

AZmike
11-07-2002, 09:12 AM
That sucks that you have to keep driving it. When my car needs to sit for a while and get repaired I just ride my bike everywhere. Of course it doesn't snow here but maybe once a year.

How did the nut travel between the cylinders? Unless it went pretty far up the intake manifold against the flow somehow...

jteuton
11-07-2002, 10:41 AM
once in a cylinder i don't see how it can come back out through the valve and go to another cylinder.

AZmike
11-07-2002, 10:52 AM
That's what I thought. How could one nut have damaged two spark plugs?

dXsquared
11-07-2002, 12:42 PM
thats weird... my car had somthin fall into the carb... two plugs got distroyed and the item went out ht e exhaust i guess... i also burnt out a valve cuz it ticks now... oh well... the lude motor will be goin in soon!!

Travis

smufguy
11-07-2002, 06:19 PM
that is horrible man. if u ever ditch that engine, never forget to get a pic of the cylinders and the head. we love it, we would absolutely love it. honest to god, i will put it as my wallpaper. Sorry to hear about that dude, time for a swap huh?

88WhiteLX-i
11-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Wow that really sucks. Next time be fucking careful with what you do with your nuts..lol