PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-Dip the 3G or paint

Clockworkz
07-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Like the title states. I was wondering what everyone's preference was??

I was thinking of doing the 3G in a light or dark gray plasti-dip. I would spray it on personally.

3gmodifier
07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
hmmmmmmm. i have been thinking about plasti dip for a while now. i did my mirrors white a few months ago to see how it works and i am happy so far. i then helped my friend dip his eg hatch white. took 20 cans and i can say that if done right it works well. i know u can go to dipyourcar.com ware they sell complete kits but not to cali to due VOC laws. spraying ur car with the pre thinned dip throgh a real spray gun will produce a mutch nicer finish than by can so it could be hit and miss depending on ur skills and which spray method you thoose.

niles
08-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I am painting my car with plastidip in two weeks. Already have the supplies and doing test paints right now. Here is a few things I have learned so far:

1: dipyourcar.com forums have all the info you could ever need
2: it does not lay flat like enamel (orangepeel effect)
3: it will look like a matte finish
4: even the glossifier will only look sorta glossy and does not cover up the 'orangepeel' texture
5: adding pigments to clear is the way to go for custom colors (I am adding metal flake and pearl)
6: peeling it off is awesome!
7: it is easier to work with and more forgiving than enamel
8: Glossifier is too thin for heavier pigments (like flake) and will drip easily
9: it does not hide pre-existing imperfections like rock chips

Pics soon...

Dr_Snooz
08-02-2013, 09:54 PM
You should spray it with Rhino Lining. LOL

2oodoor
08-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Went to the forum, kind of looks like how my car looks using base coat clear coat polyurethane without the clearcoat.

niles
08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
So far, the thing I am most bummed about is that the texture is too rough for a good pearl effect. It turns out more metallic looking that pearl. Also I am concerned with durability in places like door jambs, but right now my car is primer and Plastidip sticks to primer like crazy. It takes more coats to peel it properly. If it gets messed up by next summer I will just do normal paint like normal people lol

charliekuney
08-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Two weeks ago I leave my block and the Ram with a 10" lift at the end of the street suddenly went from red to Rhino Lining...

niles
08-13-2013, 10:45 AM
So I "dipped" my car sunday, and boy am I just tickled about how amazing it looks!

For those who are wondering how much dip it will take, I have a hatchback and I used 4 gallons of thinned dip. It got me about 12 thin coats with a tiny bit left over for fixes down the road. You can get away with 3 gallons if you do a solid color, but what's the fun in that?!?!

More info will be posted here: http://www.3geez.com/forum/appearance/85161-87-lxi-hatch-shaved-molding-repaint.html

gp02a0083
08-13-2013, 07:03 PM

we did that to a friends land rover that we took on trails, it was a beast

niles
10-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Updated opinion on Plastidip: I 'dipped' my car about 2 or 3 months ago. After baking in the summer sun for a while, the plastidip stinks. It smells bad when it gets hot. It may have been my fault, but be warned - it is a possible outcome.

I really enjoy the hydrophobic properties of the rubber, water beads up and rolls right off. It is easy to wash, I usually just get it wet and wipe it off with a towel.

The dip stil looks great, though it is a little more fragile than I anticipated. It is easy to scratch or tear it, I always have to be careful when I, or anyone, is near my car. I do not enjoy being contantly worried about my dip getting messed up.

I will see how it holds up though the winter but, next summer I will probably peel it and paint with polyurethane like a normal car :crying:

Tdurr
10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Niles, you dad cans right?? I have a friend who is going to school for body work but he said if you spray it through a gun it can come out smooth but Matte.

niles
10-02-2013, 05:12 PM
I used self-thinned gallons through a HVLP sprayer. It all comes out with a matte finish, I put the glossifier product on top and it's semi-gloss looking. IMO cans would not turn out well, just like using regular spray paint to paint a car.

Next summer I will probably peel and repaint with polyurethane. I was wanting something more permanent anyway.

niles
10-08-2013, 06:16 AM
There is a chance the odor is from using Xylene. Using Naptha as thinner potentially will have different results.