PDA

View Full Version : Loose Caliper

firefighterwhite89
07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I noticed today, my caliper is loose. I can move it by hand probably about a ¼ inch in/out. The bolts that hold it to the bracket are FSM spec torqued...yet it is still floppy. What could be causing this? Is it somehow warped?

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

Oldblueaccord
07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Calipers is a floating design. I think when you press the brake pedal a release it you will find it centered up and is tight again.

You can replace the pins that the caliper rides on this would fix a rattle you here hitting small bumps or the bracket also with the pins. I noticed no rattle with new brackets and new pins when I upgrade my front brakes.

Dr_Snooz
07-26-2013, 08:01 PM
It shouldn't affect braking performance, but you might notice an annoying rattle when you drive over bumpy roads as well as having the dreaded front end wobble when braking at high speed.

Legend_master
07-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Mine move a slight bit as well. I think it is just the design of it.

cygnus x-1
07-31-2013, 09:56 AM
It could be that the pins are worn making the caliper sloppier than usual. You can get new pins from Rockauto and probably even the local parts store.

C|

gp02a0083
08-09-2013, 12:23 PM
it can also be the bracket that wears out where the pins slide into. Had an issue back on my old 87 that i converted to the 88 89 front brakes. I've noticed a small "clunk" when pulling out of my driveway, turned out to be excessive play in the slider pins and the brake pad clips causing the pads to move around. When you replace the pins make sure you grease them well