PDA

View Full Version : Accidently launched car and loosened a bunch of stuff.

HondaManDan
11-07-2002, 11:48 AM
alright.... im a fucking moron... it was about 11:30 last night and i was driving up this hill i havent been up.... i was going piss slow so i decided to hammer it. yeah bad fucking idea..... the end of the hill came to another street...so at the top of the hill there was a very steep angle going to the next street... i've never driven this road before and ended up hitting a launching pad at around 35mph....i knew this when all vibration ceased and my car revved to around 5krpm... i hit the ground all four tires at once and bottomed out in the middle of my car... my muffler got flattened and flew off the back end... (was only held on with a clamp)... so now i need a new one and have been driving around w/o one. i fucked up my alignment and now my car rattles...
the heater rattles... only when on HI. it wont rattle at any other time... it's a fan motor i think... located right underneith the glovebox... i never made this noise until i landed the thing... so it's probablly just jarred out of place... but can anyone help me with this??? how to stop the rattle?... and i'll post a pic of the hill soon.
it's like this:
.......... ./
../
...../
....... /
........./
........./
.........../
........../
........................./
damned hill

HondaManDan
11-07-2002, 11:49 AM
and of course that didnt work
i'll post it

smufguy
11-07-2002, 06:24 PM
holy fuck. Ahahahahahah gosh man. UR THE ULTIMATE FLYING KING. sorry dude, seems like ur underbody is shitty now huh? HOws the suspension holdin up? It could be something loose that rattles and nothing major.

i pictured ur muffler breaking off and flying off with sparks all over the road. hahah, sorry man. i just cnat stop laughin. how does ur car idle? does it idle okay? how about the tranny? shifts fine? Drive it around a lil and see if its the same or close to it.

hope nothing major happened

Maydnaella
11-07-2002, 07:04 PM
LOL damn....sorry...i just thought that was amusing but sad. I did that..but not nearly as...severely. I don't have any technical advice to offer. :sadwave:

HondaManDan
11-07-2002, 07:43 PM
yeah.. well i drove it around.. it sounded like a bomb with no muffler so i kept it that way for a couple of days :).. i got a new one today and installed it.. it's just a 40dollar cheepo from Advanced Auto w/a APC tip on it. the undercarrage is alright... it's got two large scrapes going down the two rails underneith the drivers and passangers seats... are all of our 3geez's underbodies coated with that thick oily rubber crap??? cuz half of mine is gone now.. lol..
anyways the engine is a little messed up... i took a look under the hood and i think i blew a small hole in my head gasket cuz there's oil leaking onto my exhaust manifold... not cool... it shifts fine... rides alright... it's just that the heater clicks on HI now and the landing gives me all the more reason to replace my lower balljoints... so im off to the shop for a while.
glad my story ammused you guys... believe me it's scary shit... cars arent supposed to fly..

pmip
11-07-2002, 07:49 PM
I did the same thing a couple of years ago, except nowhere near that extreme. Good luck with everything, hope you get it all fixed.

markmdz89hatch
11-07-2002, 08:09 PM
i did almost the exact same thing a few months ago. Except it wasn't really the middle/belly of the car for me. Mine kinda nose-dived the ground. Hitting the front bumper first (that did fix that little bumper/grill gap tho :D ) then just the hardest I've ever felt anything in that car. I got rear ended by a Ford Taurus before, and this was by far a whole shit load harder hitting. I ended up denting the shit out of the oil pan, scraping the lower brace under the tranny/engine, putting a nice little scrape/dent in the front support brace, and blowing a chunk off the mount that's bracketed to the center lower brace. That and, it looks like the hood/fenders are a little out of line since then too.

Oh well, it's just a good thing it happened in the 3G and not anything else, otherwise it could'a been a little more costly and painfull.

Neuspeed87lx
11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
ive done that in my civic ...ive gotten all 4 wheels off the ground by acciedent..the bottom of the body kit got scratched up bad but besides that nothing happened

Mantis88LX
11-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by HondaManDan
i think i blew a small hole in my head gasket cuz there's oil leaking onto my exhaust manifold...

that would be your valve cover gasket, not head gasket

anchovies
11-07-2002, 11:14 PM
lol...damn, should have a camera man with you. Someone might get that clip into FnF2

Anyway, just check your oil pan and radiator.

HondaManDan
11-08-2002, 07:42 AM
i checked the oil pan it's fine... and that is my valve cover gasket... thanks for the clarification :)... how much does one of those go for?? it seems like a driveway operation.... i think... the radiator is fine too... the only thing i hit was my front pipe and that brace that goes under the engine.
i think i smashed my lower ball bearings though... that's it. they clack a lot driving over bumps. so i need to get em fixed before winter. other than that i need an alignment wicked bad.

89AccordNate
11-08-2002, 08:37 AM
Im still checking out your whole 'hill diagram'. No matter how I look at it, it just doesnt look like a hill. Can you type a better representation so I can better understand your hill to flight angle?

:D

Nate.

GDGuy11B
11-08-2002, 09:11 AM
nate, his second post said that the diagram didnt come out right. lol

GDGuy11B
11-08-2002, 09:15 AM
believe me it's scary shit... cars arent supposed to fly..

What do you mean cars aren't supposed to fly??? LOL

smufguy
11-10-2002, 10:48 AM
go to walmart and get a can of rubberrized under body coat for $3. its a red can with a black cap. Dont know the exact name of it, but it should work. I tried it for my under body too, its good. just wash it before u spray on the body.

how are ur shox? are they shot or are they decently runnin? check ur engine mounts? does car rattle ? is there any damage to suspension and steering components in the front? Hope nothing happens man. Check for all the blots to be in the right place. check all lock nuts, radius rod for example. Tie rod esp. Check to see if they are bent. Good luck bro. hope it recovers if its hurt.

A20A1
11-11-2002, 02:12 PM
I posted my launch story in race stories a while back.

A20A1
11-11-2002, 02:23 PM
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149
ok here is the link and it was in suspension tech.

Greg
11-11-2002, 02:34 PM
If you screwed up your exhaust system and you have rattle, I bet it could very well be from something on your exhaust like a heat shield or the stub-end w/o muffler rattling back and forth.

The way I test for these things is to jack up the car, get underneat it and hit the exhaust pipes with the heel of my hand to hear where it rattles, and then isolate the rattle and fix it.

toastyghost
11-11-2002, 02:54 PM
OMFG hahahahhahahahaha! Ok now that I got that out of my system.. this reminds me of when my best friend and I went cruising around in her Taurus one night. We were on this two-lane "highway" just outside of town, and I had never been past the bypass junction down there and wondered what was further down the road. As it turned out, about 1/2 mile down around a big curve, the road just stopped and turned into a "end state maintenance" area with a nice big gravel lot that had a very steep entrance ramp. We were going probably 55 or 60 and just SLAMMED into this shit with no warning whatsoever. Damn Taurus flew like 3 feet in the air, landed hard, and spun out right before a really steep hill. We were scared for our lives for about two seconds and then she just started laughing her ass off. That shit was built Ford-tough fo rilla, she didn't have any noticeable problems with it at all after that.

Anyway sorry to hear about your Honda having an identity crisis and trying to be a Boeing. Hope you get everything fixed up.

Maybe we should petition the mods to make a "Launch Stories" section. :)