PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my 3gee

Neuspeed007
11-08-2002, 03:34 AM
Whats a good price for lowering springs? Where should i buy mine at? i was thinking Eibach at tire rack for $195, or i could go H&R for $162, Or maybe neuspeed springs. tell me what you think's best.

How far do you suggest i lower my car? i want it low but not to low. 1.5? or 2?

Do any of you suggest i get new shocks with my Spring Purchase?

Neuspeed87lx
11-08-2002, 05:40 AM
sprint is pretty popular and they are 105 bucks now for a set at impactparts.com..i have them and i like them...they lower your car 2.25 inches so i would recommend new struts and mabey a camber kit if you have the money...when i put my springs on i changed the rear struts but not the front because there still in good shape...the car rides nice...

89AccordGSR
11-08-2002, 07:34 AM
According to the Ground control site, their coilover kit is set up so you can keep the stock struts. I plan to do this setup & drop my 89 LXi 3 in.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordGSR
According to the Ground control site, their coilover kit is set up so you can keep the stock struts. I plan to do this setup & drop my 89 LXi 3 in.

If you do that your car will ride and drive like crap, your stock sturts will be so overwhelmed by the ground-controls that your car will bounce all over the place and have control issues. People have complained about the tokico's bouncing like made with ground-controls, it's only going to be worse with stock struts.

Ground-control said what,...Say what, as much as I admire their techs, that is flat out 100% incorrect. I think the marketing department got that advice past the tech's without them knowing it. Their's no way you can put stiffer lowering springs on a car and not change out the struts to. Just take a look at how much stiffer even the softest lowering springs are on our cars, which are less than 30% stiffer than stock need to upgrade to stiffer struts. Even a strut that is 15% stiffer than stock strut wasn't stiffer enough. And they are trying to say stock strut's are just fine, WRONG!

Neuspeed007
11-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

If you do that your car will ride and drive like crap, your stock sturts will be so overwhelmed by the ground-controls that your car will bounce all over the place and have control issues. People have complained about the tokico's bouncing like made with ground-controls, it's only going to be worse with stock struts.

Ground-control said what,...Say what, as much as I admire their techs, that is flat out 100% incorrect. I think the marketing department got that advice past the tech's without them knowing it. Their's no way you can put stiffer lowering springs on a car and not change out the struts to. Just take a look at how much stiffer even the softest lowering springs are on our cars, which are less than 30% stiffer than stock need to upgrade to stiffer struts. Even a strut that is 15% stiffer than stock strut wasn't stiffer enough. And they are trying to say stock strut's are just fine, WRONG!

How much did you end up payin for your H&R springs nad front and rear struts? cause i was origionally trying to find good ideas and pricings..:confused:

Jims 86LXI HB
11-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed007

How much did you end up payin for your H&R springs nad front and rear struts? cause i was origionally trying to find good ideas and pricings..:confused:

You can get 4 Koni's from www.shox.com for $424 and free shipping. Their price on the H&R's is to high, ask them to price match www.optauto.com, they sell the H&R's for $149. BTW, if you wanted to you can get away with running tokico struts in the rear, that would save you about $100. I thought about doing that, but I felt I was willing to pay the extra $100 for the rear koni's over rear tokico's. BTW, I do not recommend Eibach sportlines, take a look at this thread to get a idea as to why.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7856

I loved my H&R setup with koni's. Only when I really pushed the car to the limit did I wish I had stiffer springs and stiffer struts. But not many people drive that hard. With the koni's the car never ever bounced or misbehaved. If rode and drove as if it came from the factory with a firmer sport suspension, I loved it.

Neuspeed007
11-08-2002, 02:12 PM
sweet, ill look into the koni's, at this point it looks like ill be getting H&R Springs. ill keep you guys updated.

89AccordGSR
11-08-2002, 02:23 PM
Ok so heres my question, what would be the best setup as far as handleing & ride quality? Also, are coilovers better then lowring springs?

Jims 86LXI HB
11-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Ok so heres my question, what would be the best setup as far as handleing & ride quality? Also, are coilovers better then lowring springs?

Hmmm, what kinda drop range to you want, what will make you happy when you look at your car? 1.5", 2", 2.25"?

The question about if coilovers are bettter than lowering springs is not a easy one to answer. The real purpose of running coilovers on a car is to dial in your suspension by corner weighting. You would weigh each corner of the car seperately, and make adjustments to each corner of the car by adjusting each coilover. But no one here does that. People here buy them to dial in the drop height that please's them, nothing wrong with that. One way to look at your question is to say, what would be better, 2" suspension techniques springs or Ground-control coilovers. One cost's $97 and the other cost's $329. What would you get for a extra $200? You'd get a little better handling balance since the ground controls shift more of the cornering loads from the front to the rear and you'd be able to fine ture the ride height if let's say you didn't get enough drop in the front, or if you find that your subs in the trunk push the back down to much, you'd be able to compensate for that to. Now for me, I want to keep the car at a 1.5" drop, if I used the ground-controls and set them to 1.5", I'd have stiffer springs than the H&R's I was running.

BE CAREFULL with coilovers, some of the other brands, other than Ground-control have very stiff springs that even the koni's won't be happy with. As a example drop zone coilovers sell for $129, but they're spring rates are 450lbs front and 350lbs rear. Ground-controls are 340lbs front and 250lbs rear. Hint, you can get the drop zones and use the 350lbs springs they come with in the front and buy a pair of 250lbs springs direct from ground control for $100 = $229 total. Just a thought.

On other cars you can get full bodied coilover systems that come with struts that are built into them as part of the system. But they are extreamly expensive, $900 to $1600 These struts are matched with the spring rates in the coilovers, that matching helps how they ride, a great deal, plus most of them have a huge adjustment range on the struts themselves. But, we don't have any truely worthwhile company that makes them for our cars, doestech and aim make them. I had doestech rear struts on my car and they blew in only 3k, they suck. DXHATCHBACK bought the aim coilovers only to send them back for refund without ever installing them.

Sorry for the long post
:sadwave:

89AccordGSR
11-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Ok let me know how this sounds. I plan to get Koni Sport shocks(adjustable), Sprint extreme lowring springs, DC Sports strut bars & Suspension Tech front & rear sway bars. Take into mind that I want my suspension to be like a touring type car. So, is there anything else that I need to get other than that? Im dont exactly have much knowledge on the Racing type suspensions. Im use to air cylinders & hydraulics(air cylinders-which I plan to have on my next 3rd Gen, its gonna be for show).

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 05:43 PM
Ok let me know how this sounds. I plan to get Koni Sport shocks(adjustable), Sprint extreme lowring springs, DC Sports strut bars & Suspension Tech front & rear sway bars. Take into mind that I want my suspension to be like a touring type car. So, is there anything else that I need to get other than that? Im dont exactly have much knowledge on the Racing type suspensions. Im use to air cylinders & hydraulics(air cylinders-which I plan to have on my next 3rd Gen, its gonna be for show).

Rut row,.....they don't make Koni sports for our cars, only the koni specials. You can get specially modified and revalved Koni sports from opmMotorsports, but they are expensive, $1200. Either go with the Koni specials($424) or get revalved Bilstein H.D's, which would cost $630. The revalved Bilstein's I had, did kick up the car's performance a notch, I thought they were worth the price, just a thought. I think the S/T springs are a great value for the money.

The suspension techniques front sway bar is only a tiny bit bigger than the stock front bar(1/16" bigger), you'd save a few buck's by just adding urathane bushing to the stock front bar and get a rear suspenion techniques bar (but hey, if you don't want to mess with figuring out how to do urathane bushings on the stock bar, just get the S/T front bar). Or have a company called sanner prefab bend you some custom copies of the stock bars for $180 each, I'd go with 1 1/16" front and 7/8" in the rear if you want to go all out.

DC Sport's only offers a front strut bar, for the rear you'll want to talk to justin (88turboAccord the moderator) he sometimes makes rear sturt tower bars for our cars.

Oh, another thing, a limited slip diff would be a very good mod to add, pricey, but it'll give you allot more traction for powering out of corner's and off the line.

Do you allready have rims and tires on the car? If you do, what do you have? If not what will you want, rim size wise?

89AccordGSR
11-09-2002, 06:46 PM
For acing purposes I plan to have GSR wheels, but as a daily grind type rim, im getting the 17" Konig Blatant(carbon)

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 06:52 PM
For acing purposes I plan to have GSR wheels, but as a daily grind type rim, im getting the 17" Konig Blatant(carbon)

Ok, that'll work, keep in mind that at 15-16lbs that gsr rims are not the lightest 15" rims you can get. But for the price, thier lighter than what cheap aftermarket alloy's weigh. 12lbs is a light weight. 205/50-15 kumho 712's or Falken Azensi sports would be a good tire choice that won't break the bank.