PDA

View Full Version : Making a Spoiler w/ Taillight

Thorny88Lx
11-08-2002, 10:06 AM
How can I make a spoiler with the taillight in it. From scratch.

HondaBoy
11-08-2002, 09:56 PM
umm. hmmm .i dont have the answer. maybe just put a two by four board on some little smaller cut pieces of board. hahaha. actually i dont think u can realy do that. at least u have an imagination. but realy dont even try doing anything like make a spoiler from scratch. that just wouldnt look good. if u have junk yards around where u live, look for a junked accord. if they have one with the spoiler on it, buy it. i got mine for $30. thats wut i did was go to the junk yard.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Ok, I guess I'll try to help you out. What you need is some fiber glass matt and a lot of fiber glass resin (I'd say about a gallon of the resin and a bunch of the bags of matt) You can get those at your local Wal-Mart. Actually, Hondaboy's post gave me an idea; you might want to use a board (very small though) What you would have to do for a tail light is to make a housing in the side of the board (cut it out with like a dremel or a router) Then go to your junkyard and get a tail light from a spoiler there. And what I would do then is make sure the light will fit in the small board. Then what you need to do is to make a cut in the side of the board (from one side to the middle) where the light is going to be on. That little cut should be big enough to put the wires through, so you can't see them. Then when you have the light mounted in the small board and the wires tucked in the groove; then there is the legs for the spoiler. Just use the same size wood as you did for the wing. You can determine the height. Then after all that stuff is done, you will start to lay the fiberglass strips on the wood. Oh yeah if your making legs make sure you cut a groove one of the sides for the wires, attach the legs on before laying the fiberglass down. (so the wing will be one piece with no seams) The fiberglass and resin will have instructions to follow (can't remember them off hand). You should lay several layers down until you think it's good. Then you have to drill holes in your trunk lid (two for each leg) I would use some really long wood screws to attach the wing to the trunk (use silicon on the holes so the trunk won't leak water) Personally, what I would do is to mount the wing on then put some body filler around the edges to make it even and without seams. Then all I think is left is to mask off the taillight and paint it whatever color you want. (might want to take your trunk lid off unless you want to mask off your window and back fenders. Then mount your beauty on your sweet car. Wow I think I might actually make one for myself now. It would be a great way to save some money. If anyone would like me to write a how to I guess I could, just let me know.

:rice:

87Hybrid
11-09-2002, 09:08 AM
First buy one of these
Ebay led 3rd brake light (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871827442)
Then get ome sheet styrofoam and cut and shape the initial design for the spoiler them wrap the form with metal screen as the fiberglass resins will melt the styrofoam and then apply the fiberglass resins and matting starting with a chopping matt, the thick bulky stuff and finish up with the fiberglass cloth. Make your first layers light so that the screen dosent colapse themn make it strong enough to be firm and not breake on the car.

89lxi95zx7
11-09-2002, 09:43 AM
i would just search for one from a junkyard,probable only like $30(what you'd spend on supplies to fabricate)or steal one,i wouldn't but thats me

89AccordNate
11-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Your fabrication wont look as good as what a stock one would cost, and it would be no way near as strong. Fiberglass is incredibly hard to work with. It takes A LOT of patience, and some skill to get the bondo right. I spent hours upon hours sanding my crx lip smooth, and that was a small project.

Dont attempt the spoiler, you will get nothing but a headache.

Nate.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Well if your dad is an autobody technician I don't think you'll have a problem. I know I'm pretty lucky to have a dad that does that. He's helping me do my hoodscoop now. I'm going to search the junkyards for a spoiler. I just realized the time it would take for something I could probably get for $20.

HondaBoy
11-09-2002, 08:28 PM
i was going to say something about doing that fiberglass thing. but i didnt realy want to say. well neway i guess its just like makeing a surfboard. and kinda like fixin fiber glass body work.