PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1982 Accord Weber conversion, now blue smoke and runs like shit!

Twiewel89lxi
08-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Last week, I converted my 1982 Accord to a Weber carb. I drove the car about 150 miles and it did great. Over the last few days/75-100 miles the car has been producing more and more blue smoke and burning more and more oil. Also, the idle and acceleration have got progressively worse. It was running GREAT the first 150 miles after the conversion! :banghead: Thanks for any help!

charliefowle03
08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Last week, I converted my 1982 Accord to a Weber carb. I drove the car about 150 miles and it did great. Over the last few days/75-100 miles the car has been producing more and more blue smoke and burning more and more oil. Also, the idle and acceleration have got progressively worse. It was running GREAT the first 150 miles after the conversion! :banghead: Thanks for any help!

I have had very similar experience after my cinversion. I had to redo my gaskets 3 times and apply different sealants to help the gas leaks. Right now they are doing ok with some aviation sealant. like a sappy consistency..messy but has help up well. as far as the oil burning i would lokk into the coolant system. check for leaks ect temp gauge be noteful of. the oil burning may not be realted to the weber swap.

Dr_Snooz
08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
What did you do with the PCV when you converted?

Twiewel89lxi
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the help. The gaskets seep to be sealed just fine. As far as the PVC, I wasn't aware there was one. I just have the valve cover connected to the air cleaner. The only other things I've done are connect the distributor to the carb, and the fuel and brake booster line. What did I miss?

2ndGenGuy
08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
You're right, there is no PCV system on the EK motor. Sounds like you've got it right. Have you double checked that your float didn't go all wonky? Perhaps it's got a pinhole leak and is no longer floating.

LazloZ28
08-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Pull the top of the air cleaner off and see if it's all oily in there, maybe the crankcase vent is just letting too much oil through. If not I would do a leakdown with the valve cover off and check around the aux chamber seals. Could be that they were marginal before and the change of vac characteristics with the weber and ditching all the smog junk made it worse. Burning oil and loss of compression would sure make sense here, if thats the case I'd do valve stem seals also(aux valve seal set comes with seals for the chambers). All of this can be done on the car but much easier to remove the aux chambers with the head off, I even left the manifolds on the head and pulled the whole assy, but I had a bad head gasket also. Could also be you're just running too lean and burned up the rings, that would suck but a compression and leakdown test will tell ya for sure.

Dr_Snooz
08-27-2013, 03:25 PM
You're right, there is no PCV system on the EK motor. Sounds like you've got it right. Have you double checked that your float didn't go all wonky? Perhaps it's got a pinhole leak and is no longer floating.

Wait. Isn't there a breather on the valve cover that goes into the air cleaner?

2geeSEi
08-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Wait. Isn't there a breather on the valve cover that goes into the air cleaner?

He mentioned that he has it connected.

Twiewel89lxi
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Ok, so I hooked the same carb up to my '82 prelude and it started smoking instantly... It was fine before. Any ideas?

2ndGenGuy
09-25-2013, 12:58 PM
How's it run though? Maybe it's running way too rich or something? I can't fathom why it would do this...

Twiewel89lxi
09-29-2013, 03:42 PM
It's running great. My only concern is that the Accord ran great at first too.

2ndGenGuy
09-29-2013, 10:27 PM
You try putting the stock carb back on and see if it still does it? How much smoke are we talking about?

Twiewel89lxi
09-30-2013, 04:53 AM
On the Accord it was A LOT of smoke out of the tail pipe and under the hood. On the Prelude, very little and mostly from under the hood.