PDA

View Full Version : will air intakes increase engine heat ?

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-08-2002, 02:09 PM
just bought a 91 prelude, and it already has a cold air intake on it, was just wondering if those things encrease engine heat or anything ?

87AccordsterLx
11-08-2002, 02:25 PM
if anything its the opposite.... the purpose of cold air intakes (CAI) is that cold air is more compressed then hot air, and the more air that you can get into your engine the more fuel you can get to your engine. So if you want to say that becasue more fuel is going to your engine then it is burning hotter well.. Im not sure of the answer to that.... Im not sure if having more fuel would = more heat.... this is non-related but what octane do you use in it...???

anchovies
11-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by 89LXIto91PreludeSI
just bought a 91 prelude, and it already has a cold air intake on it, was just wondering if those things encrease engine heat or anything ?

Yes, dump more fuel in it.

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-08-2002, 03:54 PM
i dont really know anything about cars lol, i just do computers hehe. but so your saying with the intake i wont get very good gas milage than if i had the stock efi or whatever ?

ps, hehh.. thanks for putting up with my stupidity

1988starter
11-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Actually aftermarket intakes and exhause componits often increase gas mileage as long as you don't rail out every gear.

anchovies
11-08-2002, 10:55 PM
Yes. I mean with cai you'll run hotter than normal. So, not waste all the air that's being supplied by the cai, use a fuel pressure riser to dump more fuel into the combustion.
more air + more fuel = more power (generally)

But just to answer your question, yes, it runs hotter :D

Jims 86LXI HB
11-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 89LXIto91PreludeSI

Well a true cold air intake provides significantly lower air temps to the throttle body, much lower than a short ram intake and provides you with more power gains. Your cars cooling system will handle any increases in efficiency, which may or may not cause higher temps brought on by the intake. If it can't, time for some repairs or make your owership experience a short one.

anchovies
11-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Yes, Jim you're right. The cooling system should do it's job. However, if you install cai, you'll experience higher temps (fan turns on more often, fan still runs after engine is shut).

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
Yes, Jim you're right. The cooling system should do it's job. However, if you install cai, you'll experience higher temps (fan turns on more often, fan still runs after engine is shut).

Wha-huh?:huh: My fan ALWAYS ran when I shut off the car 100% of the time, till it droped the temp to a certain degree every time I turned the car off when it had reached normal operating temps. Spring, summer, winter and fall, it was really annoying.

anchovies
11-10-2002, 01:14 AM
You're driving too hard Jim, driving too hard :D

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-10-2002, 04:54 AM
lol

well thanks for all the info guys :)
i was just wonderin cause my fan was always on for like 15 mins after i turn off my car somtimes.

87AccordsterLx
11-10-2002, 08:13 AM
hey... :wave: umm.. is that an LXi thing?? cus my fan doesnt do that.. when my car is off.. that shit is OFF... no fan... nothing

88WhiteLX-i
11-10-2002, 10:15 AM
Yeah my fan comes on after I shut my car off too. I have an LX-i, maybe it was something to do with the CPU and the cooling system??

anchovies
11-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Yes, it's an Lxi/Sei thingy.
89LXIto91PreludeSI, you might want to try synthetic oil to keep the engine cooler, that is if you're not using it already.

1988starter
11-11-2002, 06:04 AM
Well remember jim also lives in cali here in ny I seldom heaar it unless it is in the summer

cdscowboy
11-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Yeah, when I turn off my car...it's OFF. No fan, nothing. Actually, for a while there, it wouldn't even come on when the car was running...lol...but I got that taken care of. I've often wondered, too, why the fan doesn't come on after it's shut down. My first car's fan (POS) even came on... And the sticker on the radiator even says *WATCH OUT FOR FAN* (or something). It looks like it depends on the LXi in regard to whether the fan comes on or not after the car is shut down...:wtf: lol