PDA

View Full Version : 88 Lx tranny noise

av0
08-17-2013, 07:30 PM
My car clinks systematically every 2 seconds. It comes from under the car right around the transmission. It can only be heard with the car off or by a cement median. It slowly stops maybe about 2 mins after I turn off the car..which I would guess eliminates the exhaust changing temperatures as an option. It is kind of high pitched. I'm guessing it is the flywheel or some moving part in the transmission. When I got the car it was leaking what I believed was transmission fluid which mysteriously stopped.. The car still shifts fine and drives like a dream.

Does anyone know what this could be?

What size is the fill plug bolt?

Can I put heavier weight motor oil in the transmission,what kind should I use,and will it stop a very small leak?

poorman212
08-18-2013, 06:18 AM
But the noise is there with the car off....so how is this something in the trans? There are a few solenoids located on the pass side of the car, see/feel them to see if you can figure out if the noise is coming from one of them.

Should be 17mm on the fill bolt.

av0
08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
. What's the heaviest weight oil I can put in my transmission without damaging anything ?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

Dr_Snooz
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Are you moving when this happens? If so, then look for a rock or nail in your tires. If you're not moving, then get out and look around for the noise.

The heaviest weight oil you can use is 10W/30 motor oil. You'll lose 5th gear if you use anything else.

HelpMeHonda
08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Are you moving when this happens? If so, then look for a rock or nail in your tires. If you're not moving, then get out and look around for the noise.

^^^^^ This is exactly what I was going to say!

Gt-r
08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
When you shut the car off and the noise remains? Are you sitting at a full standstill or still rolling abit?