PDA

View Full Version : newbie with serious problem need help

gregos
08-18-2013, 11:35 AM
hello everyboby,

i'm greg , 32yo from tel aviv , israel .

about a month ago i bought 1986 accord hatchback dx with automatic transmission.
i own the only pre 1991 honda in israel and there is no source for parts here.
few weeks ago the teeth on the torque converter suffered grinding and the starter motor was spinning freely .
unfortunetly i cant find any tc here and in addition the transmission is on its last breath ( it suffered serious leeking, the previous owner just casted "liquid iron " on its housing ( which doesnt leave any acsess to the bolts or case opening) .
the gears are knoking and i should replace/rebuild the tranny wery soon /

cause honda import to il started only in 1991 i was wondering if there is any option to convert the tranny & the tc to one from later model civic or accord ( unfortunetly powertrain swap is illegal here and i can replace only to same engine code :sad2:

if there is no option to swap the transmission i would like to ask for your help finding new/rebuilt tc online.
i saw few online , but the prices were somwhere about 900-1600$ ( before shipping and 150% taxes :banghead:)

will apritiate any help
thanx
greg

Dr_Snooz
08-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Well if you own the only pre-90 Accord there, you must have bought it from adrianfarina, who is also a member here. He did a lot of work to it, but I didn't know it had transmission issues.

You should be able to take the TC to any transmission shop and have a new ring gear welded on. Your bigger problem is the cracked housing though. Your options there are all expensive. You can take it to a machine shop and see if they can weld it back together and deal with whatever is toasted inside. You can also try to import something. Finding a different transmission is good in theory, but it's likely to involve adapter plates and custom machining.

Good luck with that.

gregos
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your reply.

The cracked housing belongs it the starter , so it's not a big issue.
Unfortunetly I can't find any converter online.
I expanded my search to complete gearbox swap , or even to convert it to m/t.

The car is stuck at the garage for past two months ( hope that he won't charge me for parking) ...

Would apritiate any advice that will help me to get this car going.