PDA

View Full Version : studders after shut off

89cordlx
05-13-2002, 04:30 PM
hey my carbed 89 lx now studders when I turn the car off, it shutters then turns off, and when I try and start it, it doesn't start right away and I gotta floor it and it screams and I know thats not good.whats goin on?

A20A1
05-13-2002, 04:54 PM
You are either leaking fuel into the intake because the carburetor gaskets are not sealing properly:

or you are leaking fuel because the solenoid at the rear of the carb is not closing:

The effect of the car still running after it has been turned off is called diesiling (not sure if I spelt it right)

anyways the reason you car is hard to start is because there is more fuel in the intake manifold then the car can burn...

it's like spraying too much carb cleaner down the carb barrels while the car is running... it will cause the car to stall.

both symptoms are from the same problem... excess fuel in intake.

rocky2
05-13-2002, 05:41 PM
Idle could be to high. And could have vacum leaks causing this. I've been preaching checking with starting fliud when idleing....VERY CAREFULLY!!! easy does it ....very small spray patterns anywhere from intake hoses to fenderwell. If rpms increase....Whal-lla!!

POS carb
05-13-2002, 08:43 PM
yea a vacuum leak can also cause that

ACCORD EX
05-14-2002, 02:08 AM
how high is the idle when you shut it off ! ?

89cordlx
05-14-2002, 10:24 AM
normal around 1k, but it doesn't do it now, I think it was because I was low on gas or something.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 10:43 AM
could also be spark plugs, wires, distributor?