PDA

View Full Version : A few intake questions...

3rdGenFanatic
11-09-2002, 02:39 AM
I'm sitting here looking a few filters for CAI/Short Ram intakes. I have some questions...

1.) Heat Shield = Gimmick or actual improvement?

2.) More Powerful Fans = Cooler Air?

3.) Front quarter panel CAI = Will it turn my car into a hoover upright in nasty weather?

Mike's89AccordLX
11-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Okay, for question 3. If your worried about sucking in water, which everyone that has a carb has nightmares about, an easy way to not suck in water is to buy a by-pass valve. You attach it onto the CAI and it lets the water out. Looks like a little foam pipe. For question 2. If your regarding fans that you hook up to your intake, those are a gimmick. Don't buy those. I thought the same thing and I was told if you want power you need to buy a Weber 32/36, which I'm buying in a week or so. For question 1. I would assume that it would deflect heat. If I'm wrong then an easy way to fix the heat shield would be to spray some ceramic paint on it (chrome looks nice) Then it will deflect the heat.

3rdGenFanatic
11-09-2002, 03:43 AM
I'm referring to the electric fans mounted behind the radiator...

Mike's89AccordLX
11-09-2002, 03:44 AM
Oh, I don't think you will see any hp gains from a more powerful radiator fan. If your thinking you want to cool the engine better. Buy a performance radiator.

MoonScryer
11-09-2002, 06:40 AM
..............also, if you are looking to replace yours due to age, or thefact part of your engine mount went into one of them - consider buying some Flex - a Lite fans; they are smaller, less amperage draw, and work a bit better.

Check the Summit catalog. Order one that fits by measurement.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 3rdGenFanatic
I'm sitting here looking a few filters for CAI/Short Ram intakes. I have some questions...

1.) Heat Shield = Gimmick or actual improvement?

2.) More Powerful Fans = Cooler Air?

3.) Front quarter panel CAI = Will it turn my car into a hoover upright in nasty weather?

No matter what you do, it your getting your air in the engine compartment it will be much hotter than if you install a true cai that draw's it's air from in front of the fender. If you worried about drawing water, install a bypass valve, that's what they are for. Getting much colder air with a cai, to the engine, will give you much better power gains than any system that gets it's air from under the hood. Here's the proof.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8201

3rdGenFanatic
11-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be going with the true CAI, and performance radiator/fans.

87AccordsterLx
11-09-2002, 03:29 PM
wait a second here... are you going to make a custom CAI for your carb. ??? becasue stock they draw air out of your fender... Im confused here... I have never heard of a heat sheild made for carbed accords... Im I just lost here...? the heat sheilds that I know of are for EFI with cone filters etc.... are you running a custom pipe job off of your carb and attaching it to a cone filter or somthing like that??? becasue that would make more sence...

3rdGenFanatic
11-10-2002, 04:35 PM
That's exactly what I'm doing. I already have a custom short ram. I'm going with a true CAI system and running to my stock carb until I do the weber conversion, and then I'll start rebuilding this B20 I got out of my friend's rear-ended Prelude. For free! :)

87AccordsterLx
11-10-2002, 05:05 PM
ahh... gotcha :)