PDA

View Full Version : OPM LSD conversion

89AccordGSR
11-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Does anybody in this forum have the OPM LSD on their 3rd Gen. If so, how is it & what exactly does that change. I know the Integras come with it but ive never really know what it did,

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 06:05 PM
The only member that has a limited slip diff is justanothermike, from openloop motorsports. Limited slip on a FWD car is a god send. It will greatly improve your traction off the line and when you are cornering you'll be able to apply power sooner because more traction will be ava. It has the effect of reducing torque steer with FWD car's. A good example is when Acura added LSD to the 2003 CL type-S. The automotive press felt that the LSD did a incredible job of transforming how the car performed and handled. Their are 2 types of LSD, the OPM unit is a clutch type. The other is a geared type, quife's are geared and use a torsen type setup I beleive. The clutch type's engage the limited slip mechinism more smoothly. Whereas the geared type's are more abrupt, but don't have clutch's that can and do where out.

In short when a LSD is added to a FWD car it lessen's the disadvantages of FWD and move's that car abilities more towards what a RWD car can do in a go fast enviroment. I would still prefer RWD, vs a LSD equipped FWD car however.

Scorpion88LX
11-09-2002, 06:11 PM
who makes lsd's for are cars

ryan88lxi
11-09-2002, 06:19 PM
does openloop motorsports have a website? they sound lke a decent company

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 06:25 PM
www.openloopmotorsports.com

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion88LX
who makes lsd's for are cars

http://www.opmmotorsports.com/products/honda/accord/86_88accordlxi.html

And
www.openloopmotorsports.com

Not sure if they are offering the same part though.

And here's are really good tech article on how they work and what they do for a car.

http://www.twelve100.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/limited_slips_differential_101.htm

Scorpion88LX
11-09-2002, 09:00 PM
thanx jim your a great help to me, no bullshit

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scorpion88LX
thanx jim your a great help to me, no bullshit

Thanks, your welcome, just doing my part.;)

Mike's89AccordLX
11-10-2002, 01:17 AM
Can the 89 accords get LSD too? The site just said from 86-88. I wouldn't mind trying to hook mine up with it.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Can the 89 accords get LSD too? The site just said from 86-88. I wouldn't mind trying to hook mine up with it.

Yeah you can, sorry I didn't catch that. Their's nothing different about a 89, that prevent's you from being able to add one on.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-10-2002, 01:37 AM
I was starting to feel left out from the other 3GEERS. :sad: But now it's cool. The LSD is only about $640, so after my weber conversion it's time to do LSD :bh: hehehe

HondaManDan
11-10-2002, 05:35 PM
hehe... OPM..... LSD.... sounds like a good time :) :bh:

88LXiHB
11-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
The only member that has a limited slip diff is justanothermike, from openloop motorsports. Limited slip on a FWD car is a god send. It will greatly improve your traction off the line and when you are cornering you'll be able to apply power sooner because more traction will be ava. It has the effect of reducing torque steer with FWD car's. A good example is when Acura added LSD to the 2003 CL type-S. The automotive press felt that the LSD did a incredible job of transforming how the car performed and handled. Their are 2 types of LSD, the OPM unit is a clutch type. The other is a geared type, quife's are geared and use a torsen type setup I beleive. The clutch type's engage the limited slip mechinism more smoothly. Whereas the geared type's are more abrupt, but don't have clutch's that can and do where out.

In short when a LSD is added to a FWD car it lessen's the disadvantages of FWD and move's that car abilities more towards what a RWD car can do in a go fast enviroment. I would still prefer RWD, vs a LSD equipped FWD car however.

While that is a good explenation, I will go more into detali about what it does exacly...(If I'm wrong about ANYTHING PLEASE correct me!!)

Our cars have "Open differentials" where torque is sent to whichever wheel has the LEAST resistance, therefore, if your right tire is spinning, all the power gets sent to that wheel. Imagine sitting with your left tire on nice, clean, sticky pavement, and your right tire in snow/sand/water/whatever. If you were to give it a moderate amount of gas, your wight tire would spin, correct? So then ALL the power would be sent to THAT wheel. With an LSD, it distributes the power equally between the drive wheels. That means that if your right tire is spinning, then by damned, so is your left. Doing a 4K clutch dump in a 3rd GEn (or at least mine) would USUALLY spin one tire, so therefore, I would gradually drift to the left/right. Doing that same 4K dump with an LSD would result in traction, because both tire spin in sync (unless both tires were in the snow.sand/water...).

Ok, I'm sure results varry sepanding on what type of LSD you get, but I would imagine not by much...

:wave:

PhydeauX
11-11-2002, 12:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with a phantom grip. And yes lsd on a fwd is one of the best things that can happen to it. What surprised me the most is how much better the car is in corners both accelerating and braking. Its also only $300 and change.

The 902 for the integra is the one you want for a 3g.

Actually you can use any 1st gen integra lsd, to add to your shopping list.

andy