PDA

View Full Version : What would cause my alternator belt to screech

Hazwan
08-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Like the title said, and the noise would go away if I unplugged the connector on the alternator (not the main battery post, the bigger one). I have new belt and like I said the noise would go away if the connector is unplugged. Dying alternator?

Gt-r
08-28-2013, 05:16 AM
Could be the tensioner is causing the squeeling.

conozo
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
loose belt? When there's electrical load on the alternator its harder to turn the pulley possibly causing your slipping.

Hazwan
08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
It's as tight as I can get it to be. And tensioner? There isn't one it's the water pump/alternator belt unless it's different between usdm and non usdm models

Gt-r
08-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Best bet i can say is pull the Alternator off and take it to get it tested. If it is indeed the alternator it should cause the squeel during the test.

Hazwan
08-29-2013, 05:54 AM
I'll get the alternator tested tomorrow but it was bad enough that its been throwing this black powdery stuff all over the pulleys/engine bay and the pulley and belt is hot enough to touch and were actually smoking.

If it was bad a pulley/belt then it should squeal even with the alternator connected right?

Gt-r
08-29-2013, 09:22 AM
That black powdery stuff is your belt.

And yeah it should.

lostforawhile
08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Alternator is squealing because its under load, get another belt,its eithier too tight or the wrong. Belt, where is the tensioner bolt on the alternator

Hazwan
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
What's the correct belt for it? This is on an ET motor which is similar to an A20A I believe. I already replaced the belt with a new one and it sequel after a few minutes and won't stop ever since

Gt-r
08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Sounding more and more like the pulley on the alternator is locking up.

Hazwan
08-31-2013, 01:47 AM
How did it lock up? It spins fine by hand but I also replaced the bearings and brushes while I'm at it and it's still screeching. I'm about to toss this pos I to the trash and get a brand new ones blah

g.frost
09-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Lots of squeeling and screeeching going on here lately... For me that happens sometimes in the rainy season. (both power steering and alternator) ....There's good reason the industry went away from the V-belt.

Get the best quality belts you can.

Over time and constant slipping, the pulleys become polished and glazed, loosing their grip on the belt. This needs to be cleaned off and the surface micro-roughed up (like 400 grit emery) to restore friction. Your problem may be as simple as this.

Dr_Snooz
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
....There's good reason the industry went away from the V-belt.

I don't know. The serpentine belt in my truck squeals every time I start up with the AC on. The tensioner is tight, so there's no way to fix the squeal. I just get to listen to it until the belt is so glazed that I have to replace it. The belt is new, BTW and was a quality Gates belt, not some junky off-brand thing. At this rate, it will wear out quickly and it ain't cheap. At least with a V-belt I can fix squeals by tightening the belt.

@ Haz, I would be looking at the alternator with a lot of suspicion. You can take it to the parts store to have it tested, but I find that flipping a coin is faster, easier and more accurate. Throwing darts also tends to be more useful than the parts store tests.

HLW
09-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I don't know. The serpentine belt in my truck squeals every time I start up with the AC on. The tensioner is tight, so there's no way to fix the squeal. I just get to listen to it until the belt is so glazed that I have to replace it. The belt is new, BTW and was a quality Gates belt, not some junky off-brand thing. At this rate, it will wear out quickly and it ain't cheap. At least with a V-belt I can fix squeals by tightening the belt.

Snooz, you may need to replace the tensioner. The spring in it is probably worn.

Hazwan
09-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I feel stupid but I had a wrong belt on. Replaced with a used wider belt and no more noise!

Clockworkz
09-02-2013, 10:39 PM
I feel stupid but I had a wrong belt on. Replaced with a used wider belt and no more noise!

Lol I would feel stupid also. I've had some stuff like that haopen to me also.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Hazwan
09-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Haha the car was apart when I get it so I had to guess which parts/bolts and stuff goes where on my own, including the belts!

g.frost
09-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Over time and constant slipping, the pulleys become polished and glazed, loosing their grip on the belt. This needs to be cleaned off and the surface micro-roughed up (like 400 grit emery) to restore friction. Your problem may be as simple as this.

To clarify, the metal pulley surface needs re-conditioned, not the belt.

g.frost
09-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't know. The serpentine belt in my truck squeals every time I start up with the AC on. .....

The A/C compressor is such a high load, it should have it's own belt. (...if not, blame the engineer.)
Starting the engine with the Compressor engaged is not a good idea. The controls should prevent that, even with the A/C on.

conozo
09-04-2013, 06:00 PM

We forgive you, but you have restored two accords from the ground up with complicated mods you know.

Dr_Snooz
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
The A/C compressor is such a high load, it should have it's own belt. (...if not, blame the engineer.)
Starting the engine with the Compressor engaged is not a good idea. The controls should prevent that, even with the A/C on.

It's GM, so of course I blame the engineering. The controls do prevent it from starting with the compressor on, but the howling starts a couple seconds after firing up.

The tensioner might need to be replaced, but I can hardly disengage it now. If it's worn out, then I'd need to go find someone strong to put the new one on. LOL

I guess the point is that any technology can be chinced out and made terrible.