PDA

View Full Version : New family car and ?

conozo
08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
A few months back we traded in two non working vans. 2001 Ford Windstar 145k miles and a 2004 Mercury Monterey 120k miles. The Ford had a blown tranny and the Mercury had many many problems. I could only drive it 1 or 2 days out of the week on the months it was working at all. When i traded it in, it wouldnt go over 20mph, it was backfiring and all kinds of stuff. I traded both in with a little cash on a clean 2006 Mazda5. They gave me the keys and I drove out of there fast.
I have been very happy with this purchase and my wife and I love the design. Even though its only 5 inches longer than a Mazda 3, its very roomy inside and the handling is not even comparable to the Ford or Mercury. I was so tired of driving those big vans.

We've been driving our microvan for a couple months now, no problems so far other than i noticed that a very very slight hesitation or miss (not actually sure how to describe it) My first thought was the fuel filter clogged or fuel pump because it only happens when i have less than 1/4 tank. It doesn't happen all the time, like maybe once during a trip of 30 miles. So anyways i was going to log the fuel pressure via OBD2/Torque and was wondering if the fuel pressure is suppose to be constant and how much can it vary on a typical fuel injected system.

Dr_Snooz
08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
No clue on the fuel pressure, but congrats on the new car!

2oodoor
08-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Fuel filters should be changed at least every 15k.
Are there any codes stored in memory, those dont leave cel on.
Is this electronic throttle "drive by wire"?
Those TB can be cleaned but carefully dont force the plate open.
I wouldn't suspect the pump on that model, also if it was the pump it wouldnt matter how much gas was in it. If it was the in tank filter possibly yes. 2006, you could run some professional FI cleaner in the tank to remedy that.
Clean the Battery terminals and check the battery and charging system as well, a strong alternator tug would bog it down minutes after a start up, esp with ac on.
How many miles on the clock? Are there any rubber seals missing up on th cowl where the hood shuts? Rain can drain onto engine and temporarily short COP, small coolant leaks can as well.

conozo
08-30-2013, 04:52 AM
The fuel filters are inside the tank included with the pump. Its suppose to last the life of the car, so they say. No codes or CEL, not a drive by wire system, 130k miles, rubber seals good, no water in engine bay.

I'll keep an eye on the fuel pressure and the voltage has been steady so far according to the logs. But like i said this only happens every once in a while and last only 1/2 second maybe. %99 of people would never notice it but I just like to keep it running good and thought maybe it was an early sign of an issue.

Oldblueaccord
08-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Ugh typical Ford story all junk.

Dunno much about mazda but agree dont run the gas tank below 1.4 tank on any ink tank pump car. The fuel is used to cool the pumps.

HLW
08-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Ugh typical Ford story all junk.

Dunno much about mazda but agree dont run the gas tank below 1.4 tank on any ink tank pump car. The fuel is used to cool the pumps.

The fuel is used to cool the pump but it is not the fuel the pump is sitting in, it is the fuel flowing through the pump. That is why the fuel system has a return line at the regulator so fuel constantly moves through the pump, so it does not matter how much fuel is in the tank to keep the pump cooled.