PDA

View Full Version : weird electrical issue

running strong
09-04-2013, 09:31 AM
I noticed this the other day, i have been searching here and google for answers but not having any luck. I probably would have noticed earlier but i don't usually back my car into the spot. Anyways i came home the other night i backed into my spot because there wasn't much room to maneuver. I parked shut off the car and pulled the key out. Transmission was still in reverse and my foot was still on the brake. The dash lights were on but dim, and the key chime that usually plays when you turnthekey to the on position was sounding. Took my foot off the brake and everything went off. Put my foot back on the brake and the lights and the chime came back on. If my stick is in any other gear then nothing will come on till i put the key in, but in reverse and foot on the brake engaged everything comes on. Is this a bad transmission ground or a wiring harness, ignition switch? Had anybody experienced this, or know what to look for?

running strong
09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I noticed today that only one reverse light works, very dimly, but works none the less. The other one doesn't work at all. They at least do this with the key in the on position but engine not running, although i don't think that makes a difference. Do you think this could be related?

Jafir
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
The reverse lights, assuming it's not the bulb, could a break in the wires where the harness runs up the trunk lid hinge. My first 3G, a 1986 LXi, had that problem.

Hauntd ca3
09-11-2013, 09:36 PM
have a look at the stop/tail light bulbs.
i bet you have one that has a broken brake light lilament that has bent over and is touching a tail light filament.
so when ever you press the brakes the tail light circuit livens up

Hazwan
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
have a look at the stop/tail light bulbs.
i bet you have one that has a broken brake light lilament that has bent over and is touching a tail light filament.
so when ever you press the brakes the tail light circuit livens up

This ^^

Had the same thing happen when I press the brakes and the dash lights would light up. It turned out the owner decided to replace the dual filament brake/tail bulb with a single filament bulb. Pressing the brakes would cause the tail circuit to turn on as well lol.

I would check your tail light ground(s), and the reverse bulb socket(s) making sure they don't rust out or anything and would cause a short but the way you explained it sounds like a bad ground for that side of tail

firefighterwhite89
09-12-2013, 12:51 AM
I had a similar issue with my license plate lights/tail lights. Upon searching for an answer, discovered both the Sockets had corrosion from hell in them. Look for corrosion. Fine grit sandpaper it off or replace the sockets.

running strong
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I think that I figured this out. I have pulled my tail light and reverse light housing out of the car and found this broken wire. I then tested my breaks again and there was nothing on the dash, so it has something to do with this. I'm thinking of fixing this wire first and trying that. Whats the cheapest way to fix this?
Would just throwing a tie on work?

firefighterwhite89
09-18-2013, 05:37 PM
The inner tail light and reverse light are grounded to the same wire [black]. Essentially, soldering or a wire tie would work.

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

running strong
09-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Yea that solved it. Put that wire back together and problem solved. All of my lights are brighter now too.
Thanks to everybody who helped.