PDA

View Full Version : Bad brake job..bad wreck..pics..

89AccordNate
05-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Well, yesterday I found out I wasnt the most efficient mechanic. My grandmother wanted me to do brakes on her car, so I did. I was in a rush to get it finished because I had 30 min before I had to go to work. So, I get the brakes done in record time, and i go inside to get ready for work, well I walk outside and my mom has this "oh shit" look on her face..well, when my grandmother backed out of the driveway, she had no brakes ( i forgot to pump the brakes to push the calipers back into the rotors) and....here is what happened..she rammed into the trees behind her car...I have a feeling its going to be a BIG bill....she needs a new front bumper, new cover, new turn signals, fender, drivers door, pass door, rear quarter, rear taillight, rear bumper, lower side molding, and a drivers side power mirror...oops!!

http://89accord.0catch.com/wreck1.jpg
http://89accord.0catch.com/wreck2.jpg
http://89accord.0catch.com/wreck3.jpg

Nate.

damackz
05-13-2002, 08:15 PM
ouch!!!! good luck man, i agree looks like its going to be a very big bill!

AccordChemist
05-13-2002, 08:20 PM
holy shit sorry dude, your grandmother alright? never rush anything when your fixing a car. and always double check everything.

POS carb
05-13-2002, 08:34 PM
you're trying to kill your grandmother? that's messed up...
Be glad she wrecked right there and not down the road

Mike89Accordcom
05-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Damn, you can see that black bumper of yours a mile away, :werd: it's flossin though nate

Gregs89AccordLxi
05-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Damn i didnt think the damage was gonna be that bad till i seen the pics, Ohhh :barf: , damn was your grandma major pissed off? :rant: :mad: :burn:

ACCORD EX
05-14-2002, 02:18 AM
oh god ! :omg: :omg: :omg:

why didn't she use the hand brakes ! ??

MIKE

Vanilla Sky
05-14-2002, 03:37 AM
dude, that sucks...

if you get anything off of insurance (i doubt it), take it and go get all the parts from a junkyard and put it on yourselfyou could do all the work in a few hours that way, and it'll be a lot cheaper (unless it's more damaged than it looks)

you'll have to get the rear quarter fixed unless you are really good at bodywork

Derick

RCracer
05-14-2002, 03:56 AM
WoW she doesn't do things by halfs does she. :(
Did she not think of pressing the brake pedal before she started to move?? Considering there had been some work done on the brakes.
"Maybe its just a Blokey thing":rolleyes:

I alway do. "Better Safe than Sorry"

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Shes 72 years old, shes to damn old to think 'oh yeah, pull the emergencry brake'. I dont think she ever even uses the thing, and the other part of it is she drives with 2 feet! She needs some practice on reaction time :)

Nate.

POS carb
05-14-2002, 07:59 AM
that's part of getting old, my grandfather has clipped palm trees in driveways a couple times already with his 2000 Altima, I feel sorry for him.

Einstein
05-14-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
...My grandmother wanted me to do brakes on her car, so I did. I was in a rush to get it finished because I had 30 min before I had to go to work...
Nate.

Hi Nate,

Sorry this happened. I won't do anything but change brake fluid on a car for this very reason.

If my grandmother asked me to do her brakes, I personally wouldn't do it. And if I did it anyway, I'd make sure to drive it myself and re-check everything.

That must be a sticky situation. If she reports the damage to the insurance agent, her drivers license might be in jeopardy. And if she asked you to do her brakes for free, she really can't ask you to cover the damage.

Hope everything works out. :(

YK86
05-14-2002, 08:36 AM
I swear I've seen a pic like that before (I think someone's grandma hit the garage or something with her Accord). Anyways, brakes are one of the things I would never rush especially on someone else's car. And I always do the 5 km break in of the pads to make sure everything is okay and to seat the pads/shoes properly.

gr3k0sLaV
05-14-2002, 08:44 AM
Ouch! kinda reminds me of the time I crashed my parents car...which was back in Feb....

I was coming through a boom gate a little too fast, and was too close to the left....I colliding with the support army thingy and left a gash from the passengers side left hand door (1st one) right to the fear fender.

Stripped the paint off.....cost $2300 repair, thank god for insurance.

That's a 1996 Magna, tanky big car...but fast.

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Yk86, that was my grandmother that hit her garage too!! hahaha! Her 'accelerator stuck' and she hit her garage I know at atleast 20mph..

Here is the pic of that accident..$6,000 in damage. Both airbags deployed..whole front smashed to peices.

http://89accord.0catch.com/smashedaccord.jpg

Nate.

YK86
05-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Poor car! It's been through alot in it's short life!

gr3k0sLaV
05-14-2002, 09:31 AM
I think we should all bow our heads, In a moment of silence.

For both Juans Accord
And Nate's Grandma's Accord.

:crying:

damackz
05-14-2002, 12:49 PM
i think nates grandmas accord can be fixed, dunno about juans tho.....hopefully but yes atleast no one got seriously injured in either case

Afrosheen
05-14-2002, 10:37 PM
That was pretty irresponsible man. I hope the insurance covers it but a word to the wise (something my dad always told me):

Assess, repair, test, test again. If you don't personally test it you can't guarantee that it works, for yourself or anyone else.

Next time tell Grandma to have the nice men at the Honda dealership take care of it.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Man O man, that poor, poor Accord :( :( Such a rough, yet short life it's had so far

Anyways, always check to make sure your work is done properly -- ESPECIALLY when it comes to something like brakes. That there could get somebody killed :rant:

1988starter
05-15-2002, 04:45 AM
Damn man that is no good. Hey who else hates that new pand and rotor smell.

CoAsTeR
06-11-2002, 08:19 AM
so like what was the out come of this anyways??? How much did it cost? you get your ass kicked? hahahha

1. NEVER rush a brake job.

2. Test the brakes when you're done.

3. TEST THEM AGAIN...

sorry to hear what happened, thats brutal.

Afrosheen
06-11-2002, 09:48 AM
Coaster: thanks for repeating what I said 2 posts up. At least someone agrees with me :p