PDA

View Full Version : how to remove upper control arm bushings

running strong
09-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm trying to replace my upper control arms on my car and i got all the parts, but i can't find the metal shaft anywhere. So i figured that i could use my own. The problem is that i can't get the old bushings out. I would just burn them but I'm not aloud to have a touch or burn things. Is there an easy way to get them out?

Legend_master
09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
I assume you are talking about the front upper arma? They are a total pain, I always just buy an extra set of bushings since you are replacing the entire arm anyways. If your not re-using them you could always use some vice grips.

firefighterwhite89
09-07-2013, 12:06 AM
There is a guide rod on the inside of the bushings. After roasting the bushings for a few, use a screwdriver to tap it out. Just be cautious not to bend or deform it in anyway. Make sure to lube it liberally before and after installation.

firefighterwhite89
09-07-2013, 12:07 AM
The bushings can be a pain to get out as well. They're quite a tight fit up in there

running strong
09-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Ya, thank for the responses. I want to reuse the metal shaft inside, since it's apparently no where to be found. I also was wondering if i can just replace the bushings on my front lca or will i have to get new ones?

Thanks everyone

firefighterwhite89
09-07-2013, 05:57 AM
The bushings can be found at rockauto.com. both inner and outer, all together for less than $20. You'll need a bearing installation tool rented from oreilly auto. It's expensive to rent but you get all your money back when you bring it back. And you'll want to use it for sure. I have a whole write up on it I just recently did.
You'll have to burn the old bushings out, then cut the outer ring to where it will slide right out.

Sent from My Samsung Galaxy Prevail

running strong
09-07-2013, 08:27 AM
That's better than shelling out 200 bucks on lca's. Is your right up in the how to section, i probably just missed it.

Legend_master
09-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Actually you can get front lower control arm with bushings for $13.00 ea on Rock auto. I have some, they are high quality.

running strong
09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
That's a good deal, napa wants 85, oreilly wants 89, auto zone wants 91 each. Plus the cost of the ball joint. I may just do that, especially since rock auto just put a coupon post up.

Legend_master
09-07-2013, 03:25 PM
The ball joint is separate from the front lower control arm. Still a really good deal tho.

running strong
09-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Really is thanks for the recommendation

Legend_master
09-07-2013, 03:39 PM
It's a clearance deal for the beck/arnley one. They only had a couple left last I checked.

lostforawhile
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
the upper arms? just get a socket head bolt slightly smaller then the pivot rod and smack it once, the rod will come out, then use a drift to drive out the old bushings, there is no reason the rods cant be reused, if they have light rust, Emory paper them, and grease them. Chedda on here makes those bushings in Poly

import racer
09-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't ,mean to jack thread but I want to put new bushings in my lower arms.I got the old ones out but there is a metal sleave in the arm and want to know do I need to get that out too before I get new one to go in.

HLW
09-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Don't ,mean to jack thread but I want to put new bushings in my lower arms.I got the old ones out but there is a metal sleave in the arm and want to know do I need to get that out too before I get new one to go in.

If you are replacing it with a new rubber bushing that has a metal sleeve, the new sleeve will push out the old one when you install. If you are replacing it with poly bushings that do not use the metal sleeve, you will need to remove the old sleeve before you put in the poly bushing.

import racer
09-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Not using poly just stock replacements,so should I try to get them out and how do I do it?

HLW
09-10-2013, 10:13 PM
With a stock replacement, the old sleeve will press out when you press in the new bushing with its sleeve.

Jafir
10-13-2013, 02:21 PM
The last time I replaced an OE control arm the dealer accidentally sent me double of some of the parts. It wasn't worth the hassle to get my money back at the time so I've still got a new part for that shaft if someone needs it. It's never been installed but the package was opened. I've also got a couple of the nylock nuts.

Since then I've always used aftermarket kits that came with all the parts needed for about half the price of just the OE arm, so I've never used these parts.

Anyone that wants them can have them for the price of shipping.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/14/avudy8aj.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/14/a7amase7.jpg

gp02a0083
10-15-2013, 06:16 AM
the upper bushings will come out easier when in a vise and using a impact hammer with a rounded tip to not mess everything up. IMO I always replace the upper bushings with a new arm / ball joint assembly. Make sure to torque down the pin bolt to at least 44 ftlbs. You will have a hard time trying to Tq it down when its installed in the car. Just put the whole thing in a vise with 2 wood blocks to keep the arm's mounting bolts even. The bushings IIRC i get from advanced for like 20$ a kit , comes with everything besides the mounting bolts. Rock-auto should have a set too.

statlerjames
01-12-2014, 01:04 PM
If you trim a section of the bushing shell off on the inside of the control arm after you get the rubber out it will give you enough room to take the center shaft out and then both shells can just be hammered right out.