PDA

View Full Version : Carb probs...

Dutchboy
05-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Just wondering if anyones experienced a problem with the automatic choke...
It works okay but it goes on when the car is warmed right up too...
I can shut it off and start it up and it will rev like its cold...I dont have the manual and wondered whats the problem>>??????

Thanks
Ben

A20A1
05-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Hmm. I've never had that problem, sorry... you'll have to wait till Eric comes by... right now I'm trying to figure out why my car isn't getting fuel. :mad: :(

RCracer
05-14-2002, 12:47 AM
My auto choke has a habit of coming on and making the engine rev when it is warm/hot. It only happens when I have stopped it and restarted it within a short period of time. Bliping the gas pedal makes mine settle to the normal idle speed.
I presumed they were all like that:smokin: :smokin:
It isnt a problem for me as its always pretty cold where I live:lol

ACCORD EX
05-14-2002, 02:11 AM
all i know that the rev depends on the coolant tempreture not the weather ! :)

MIKE

Dutchboy
05-14-2002, 04:47 PM
thanks anyway....

mabye its normal but its annoying...
I also noticed that when the engine is fully warmed when i shift...the revs sort of surge a bit and dont drop right away..but when its cold or warm it drops quick and doesnt do this..
Any thing wrong or am i paranoid????

I just want it to be running tiptop..got a new cap and rotor on the way..hope this helps some..

thanks in advance

rocky2
05-14-2002, 05:57 PM
It happens to my dx when I shut down and restart. It must be normal. But I can get the rpm's to kick down if I hit the gas pedal when it happens then the idle goes to about 1k from 1.5k.

Dutchboy
05-14-2002, 09:05 PM
hmm must be normal.....i guess its no big deal...
still if anyone knows why it does..please post..

thanks...

also what milage do you get ....
how do you calculate it....i use 4.45 as a gallon...is this right?
thanks

FrankD
05-15-2002, 03:47 AM
I've had my carb 89 since new and have developed all the same problems with surging idle or idle drop 500rpm and that wierd inbetween shifting rev rise thingy. Problems started at about 240,000km
FrankD

FrankD
05-15-2002, 03:54 AM
I got rid of some of these problems by cleaning and lubing all the outer carb linkage and replacing the rusted air intake heater on the exhaust manifold and making sure the diverter works.
FrankD:flip:

shepherd79
05-15-2002, 02:02 PM
i used to have same problem, i have 5 speed. i took carb out and rebuilded( changed all gaskets), lubrikated every linkage.
check my coolant sensor, and it was shot, so i got it new one. It works great now.
check you temperature sensor.

Dutchboy
05-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys.....I will check those things as soon as possible...

Which sensor is the temperature one?? were is it on the head?
i dont have a manual yet..cant find the chilton as was said which was good..

thanks for the help...
Ben

shepherd79
05-16-2002, 04:02 AM
i got my chiltons from http://www.carparts.com/parts/chiltonmanuals.asp?reflink=0-0-0-0-0
the sensor is found in the bottmof the intake manifold. It is usually in company with several other sensors and hoses and may be recognized by the fact that it feeds only one wire. it is the one without vacuum hoses.
but there should be two thermal vacuum valves. i would replace them too just to make sure.
and check your vacuum hoses for leeks it could be the problem too.
good luck.

Dutchboy
05-16-2002, 09:30 PM
thanks...you guys sure know what to look for...

This problem is more of an annoyance than a problem i guess...It just sounds like i dont know how to drive stick...]

I guess i got to get that manual...I am so not used to this car yet..SO MANY VACUUM LINES :flash:

Thanks ....
Ben

ACCORD EX
05-17-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
This problem is more of an annoyance than a problem i guess...It just sounds like i dont know how to drive stick...]
Ben

it's ok man ! just take it easy while you become good at it ! you don't wanna burn a couple of clutches as you learn ! :)

MIKE

A20A1
05-17-2002, 12:52 AM
While you change the thermal sensor you may consider doing a coolant flush... also make sure you bleed the system and have the proper mixture of coolant and water.

Dutchboy
05-19-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the help...ill be fixing that problem after i sort out the front end and brake work..
For now itll be fine...just annoying.

Thanks ...
Ben