PDA

View Full Version : Smart stupid and cellphones

2oodoor
09-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I knew that cringe in my stomach was justified when we were finally switching off our granfatherd in share plan to smart data phone.
I never had issues snding pics thru text msg with any phone since camera phones existed.
Now I can't send pics nor recieve them in text msg and now after researching it this has been going on aong time with every service and almost every brand stupid smart phone, there going to charge for each pic? Im just disgusted with the whole phone situation, sincexwhen did they becoome such a necessity,
Anybody got any advice how I can send and recieve pics in text without using data but on wifi at least? Verizion rammed us with these "free" galaxy S3's.

2oodoor
09-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I am probably an idiot and totally not as savy as some at these soo if you can overlook my rant portion and help with the actual concern I would appreciate it. I can't send or receive pics, none of our new phones can. I searched the net and found many people with this issue. I don't find a clear answer though, maybe thats me being an idiot whatever.

2drSE-i
09-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Weird. My wife has no issues sending or receiving pics from her Verizon S3. Just out of curiosity, how are you sending the picture? You should be snapping the picture, clicking on it, hitting the share button and selecting "Messages." Sorry to be so remedial.

ghettogeddy
09-08-2013, 05:32 PM
ya call Verizon and tell them to fix it... its prolly an issue on there side anyways.

2oodoor
09-09-2013, 03:11 AM
No worries about remedial suggestions, anything helps. Ive tried reducing resolution, sending as attachment, going in thru pic files and choose pic to snd,adding thru message tmplate.. i know its going to be mms sms activation somehow,, i have those off just like before on the otther plan so we didnt get charged for unsolicited apps and offers that must be manually unsubscribed. Those cost you .99 to 10 bucks, verizon even mentions that on their site,cust service claims they have no control.
I can send pics via email and such so unless my contacts have an email they wont recieve my pics, visa versa.
Get this though, you can exchange pic by just touching phones together WTF
:-D

2oodoor
09-09-2013, 03:15 AM
ya call Verizon and tell them to fix it... its prolly an issue on there side anyways.

"Call" verizon ...I appreciate the sentment truely but you know how tortutous that is :)

ghettogeddy
09-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Then go back in to a location.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Legend_master
09-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Well you could always send via Facebook messenger. Otherwise if you get an iphone, anybody with imessage will be able to receive txt/pics/vids via WiFi or data.

Legend_master
09-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Also check out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms&hl=en

niles
09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
How long has it been since the new phones were activated? Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours for all of your services to be working. If it has been longer than that and you have tried turning the phone off/on then I'd deff go back to the store or call, they probably didn't set the account up correctly. Especially if you had a grandfather plan, I bet there are some features on your account that either need to be removed or added.

I remember a short period when I first got my smart phone where not everything worked correctly. I think I had to update my software or something.

2oodoor
09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Also check out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jb.gosms&hl=en

That looks promising as long as everybody recieving my text doesn't need it to get them.

Also thanks everybody, those are all helpfull insights :-)

Legend, I really wanted an iphone but the S3 were free at radio shack, i also liked tge galaxy statosphere slider.
Im still wary of a windows phone, the most hacked os in ever and with all my info in it, naw

Legend_master
09-09-2013, 03:49 PM
You know the interface on the windows phone is nice, but they got in the game so late you just done get the support you need. I run my entire buisness from my iPhone (I'm completely mobile), the apps I needed had plenty of options, same with the high end android phones lots of options. I looked into the windows phones, and there really was not shit for them.

87accordlxi
09-09-2013, 04:08 PM
"Call" verizon ...I appreciate the sentment truely but you know how tortutous that is :)

I've found that using the online chat support feature on company websites gets things done less painfully than calling. I won't talk to AT&T any other way at this point.

2drSE-i
09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
I've found that using the online chat support feature on company websites gets things done less painfully than calling. I won't talk to AT&T any other way at this point.

and sadly much, much more quickly.

niles
09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
The chat is really handy. I traded my windows phone for an Android because of a lack of features

Vanilla Sky
09-09-2013, 10:06 PM
I've got an S3, but through Sprint. Pics are sent via MMS, so if that's off, they won't go through. On my phone, you just attach the pic to the text and off it goes.

2oodoor
09-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Helped tremendously so far with $5xx.00 bill I was livid! They also claim sms mms has to be on as well as mobile data however data charges wont be applied to plcture msges

2oodoor
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Still no crazy about this phone. It takes
Too many motions to do anything.I could teach it to face rec or voice but it cant get my accent and my face shape shifts lol

Dr_Snooz
09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
My very first smart phone was beyond awesome. It did everything I wanted it to. With each succeeding generation, they've gotten worse and worse. They are more difficult to operate, do less of what I want and more of what I don't. I think the manufacturers are so busy building in spyware and useless features, that they can't be bothered with making something people actually enjoy using. I use a Droid X now and I'm on my third or fourth one. With enough hacking and cracking, I've got it to where it doesn't make me want to start smashing things when I use it and I won't be enticed away.

I could go on at great length, but I'll just leave it there. Suffice it to say that you aren't alone Roo.

Vanilla Sky
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I always buy Android phones and install a Cyanogenmod on them. My phone does get fully utilized often.

Don't bother with facial recognition. After a while, you'll get used to using predictive text on the qwerty touchscreen keyboard. Voice to text works well for me, but I've worked pretty hard to be as accent neutral as possible.

Even though my phone and I are typically on good terms, there are times it goes sailing across the room in a fit of anger due it it being a stupid phone.

2oodoor
09-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Now were talking! There are some quote worthy sentences in those posts :)

Dr_Snooz
09-17-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm fairly happy with the penultimate release of MIUI rom and NeonBT theme for Droid X. I could never get Cyanogen to install on my phone.

I'll never forgive Steve Jobs for deciding that nobody gets to use a stylus anymore. It's the only way to get rapid, consistent entry on such a small screen but his titanic ego couldn't allow such reasonable concessions. Now any kind of data entry is an exercise in frustration. I know everybody thinks Jobs was great, but his great ideas sure managed to screw up everything I was using.

Most of the facial recognition is for tracking and surveillance so you probably want to avoid it. Turn off your GPS, location based results, etc. (there are programs to turn it on only when you need it). Don't remove all the Facebook and Twitter apps. It's all used for tracking and surveillance so if that's what you want, rock on.

dieselgus
09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
I am with Vanilla Sky. 99% of the issue nowdays is oem software that has too many useless features. I root my devices asap and get with Cyanogenmod. So far so very good. The previous andromeda rom on this phone suited my needs very well for a couple years and now the current Cyan kernel and Froyo ROM still runs just fine on this Captivate. Also runs really smooth on the tablet.

If you have Apple issues. Well. There is your problem. Good luck with that. Open source, developer driven is where it is at.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

2oodoor
09-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Im going to have to learn about this then because this s3 is doing things by itself and I do like the basic device. Yesterday it showed up taking like 24 screenshots of various desktops and pages I have used some not.
It has all these google apps Im unsure of plus the vzw stuff and smsung unknown purpose apps.
This am I pick it up and its second or third page of the log in somebodies wifi yet is connected to mine. Wtf

Vanilla Sky
09-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Sounds like something is triggering buttons. A double tap of the home button unlocks my phone. There is also a button shortcut on Android devices that takes screenshots. Does your phone live in a case, or is it naked?

MessyHonda
09-24-2013, 10:24 PM
this reminds me of computers. when you go into the store and buy a computer at least back in the day it would come with tons of preloaded software and lots of stuff that a regular person would never use. first thing i would do to any computer would be to wipe it off and reinstall a clean reinstall with out the extra junk.

Vanilla Sky
09-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Computers are still loaded down with crapware. Just bought my mom a laptop, and it's full of bloat like a whale.

2oodoor
09-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Sounds like something is triggering buttons. A double tap of the home button unlocks my phone. There is also a button shortcut on Android devices that takes screenshots. Does your phone live in a case, or is it naked?

Somewhat naked, just a snap hard cover with some knd of texture.... radio shack gave a discount on covers for having to wait so long, not much to choose from.

apache07x
09-25-2013, 07:29 AM
I use an android too but the HTC version, I like the sense setup a whole lot better. I too have mine rooted and a custom rom installed that has so many features I haven't even taken the time to learn to use it all except what I wanted to get the interface the way I like it. Tried a Sammy S3 once for 2 weeks and sold it on ebay, too clunky for my taste, too many unnecessary steps to get to what you want.

I used this for sms on my old Evo 4g and it was pretty good https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms&hl=en I like the factory messenger better on my EVO LTE though

Vanilla Sky
09-25-2013, 08:25 AM
I love my gs3. I REALLY need to update the thing, though. I use mine for network testing at least twice a week at work. The radios in them suck, so they are great for testing for worst case scenarios. Love the huge screen, too.

Remember guys, they make so many phones because different people need different things.

Dr_Snooz
09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Computers are still loaded down with crapware. Just bought my mom a laptop, and it's full of bloat like a whale.

My first act after buying my latest laptop was to blow away Windows 8 and install Ubuntu. I made a backup image of Win 8 to preserve resale value of course, but it felt really good to know that I will not be annoyed by all of Windows' drama. I don't miss Windows at all.

Vanilla Sky
09-25-2013, 07:54 PM
It gets used for Netflix, so unless something has changed with Silverlight compatibility, then she's stuck with a Windows PC or a Mac.

Dr_Snooz
09-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Give it a shot.

Netflix Desktop (http://www.compholio.com/netflix-desktop/)

Who's your friend?