PDA

View Full Version : Whether to piant roof strips when painting car

derolph
09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I am hoping to get some painting done soon. The two roof strips appear to have some old paint on them. When the car is painted, I am inclined to have these strips just painted the same as the car. Otherwise, I'd want to paint the strips black. What would you do?

Dr_Snooz
09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh, the strips! Let me tell you about those strips. They are painted the color of the car from the factory. If you get a poor quality paint job like me (Maaco) then they won't sand around those properly. As soon as the paint warranty expires, the paint will start chipping off around those and you'll be quite unhappy, like me. Whatever you do, insist that they prep those correctly so the paint job doesn't fail there.

On an LX-i, I wouldn't paint them black. Maybe on a DX where the bumpers are black too, but not on an LX-i. Especially when you consider that they'll have to spend time masking around them to paint them black.

lostforawhile
09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
um they come out, it's a rubber strip and two end caps

derolph
09-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Let me tell you about those strips. They are painted the color of the car from the factory.Oh, really? I always thought they were black on all cars, like the full-length ones on my 91 Accord sedan.

If you get a poor quality paint job like me (Maaco) then they won't sand around those properly. As soon as the paint warranty expires, the paint will start chipping off around those and you'll be quite unhappy, like me. Whatever you do, insist that they prep those correctly so the paint job doesn't fail there.

um they come out, it's a rubber strip and two end capsSo, the best approach to paint prepping would be to remove the strips, right? But, what about reinstalling them? Surely, they aren't merely held on by two end caps. By end caps, do you mean the roof has two holes where the "caps" fit into? If so, then some two-sided tape or adhesive would be needed to properly reinstall them, I would think. Am I correct?

Edit: I also wonder whether the old strips can be removed without tearing them.

A18A
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
they're little clips, it looks like there's nails in the roof that the strips slide onto. (Slide them towards the front of the car to remove them). Pull them off and paint them separately with the other things you may be removing to paint separately (mirrors etc)

charliekuney
09-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Please note the fragility of those strips being: a) 24-27 years old, b) the top of the car with the most direct sunlight, and c) cheap Japanese 80's plastic. Mine both bent/flexed upon removal and were unable to be reinstalled.

On an LX-i, I wouldn't paint them black. Maybe on a DX where the bumpers are black too, but not on an LX-i.

This.

um they come out, it's a rubber strip and two end caps

Uh, both of mine were plastic with no rubber parts what-so-ever with no end caps, but just three of the little plastic tabs that slide onto the nails built into the roof within the rain liner. As mentioned...

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Anybody know why they bothered to put those on there?

derolph
09-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Please note the fragility of those strips being: a) 24-27 years old, b) the top of the car with the most direct sunlight, and c) cheap Japanese 80's plastic. Mine both bent/flexed upon removal and were unable to be reinstalled. I was able to get them off without them getting bent. However, due to pushing forward on the rounded back end of the strips, that end on both is a bit frazzled. I guess I can reinstall them. I might try putting some kind of sealer at the back/frayed end to create somewhat of a seal there.

Uh, both of mine were plastic with no rubber parts what-so-ever with no end caps, but just three of the little plastic tabs that slide onto the nails built into the roof within the rain liner. As mentioned...Yep, that's what I found also. On the right side, two tabs are now broken. I believe the front one has been broken for a long time; the broken edge was dirty. The rear one appears to have been a fresh break, presumably happening during my efforts to remove the strip. So, only the middle tab is intact on that side. Since these strips sit down in the groove, I think only one intact tab might be sufficient to reinstall them. If not, I'm thinking double-sided tape might be an option for reinstalling.

On the left side, the middle tab is broken; I think the two intact tabs should hold the strip OK.

they're little clips, it looks like there's nails in the roof that the strips slide onto. (Slide them towards the front of the car to remove them). Pull them off and paint them separately with the other things you may be removing to paint separately (mirrors etc)I now believe just prying up on them is as effective a way to remove them as sliding them forward, and no more likely to break the tabs. The sliding method does not go well because the slot/groove narrows the front end. To pry them, a 1 inch scraper blade inserted where the tabs are seems like a viable method. To locate the tabs, some sliding of the scraper to find the tabs is probably a good idea; prying up at or near the tabs is more likely to avoid bending the strips.

Anybody know why they bothered to put those on there?I see no reason for them. If I have problems reinstalling the strips or with them staying put once reinstalled, I might just fill the grooves with body filler and make them disappear.

Dr_Snooz
09-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Given the fragility, I would just sand around them carefully by hand.

HLW
09-14-2013, 09:12 PM
There are 3 part numbers for the clips one is yellow (90611-SE3-003), one is blue (90662-693-003) and one is orange (90661-SE3-003). The yellow and orange are still available from Honda.

Part Detail (http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=31&productID=5&yearID=28&doorID=4&gradeID=72&areaID=4&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=5563%201474629)

lostforawhile
09-16-2013, 01:46 PM
if the clips break, use some three m liquid body adhesive to put the little caps back in place, once they are in there, they arent going anywhere, i have all these parts put up, and I fully expected clips etc break, sometimes on an old car things need to be fastened in ways other then factory

charliekuney
09-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep, that's what I found also. On the right side, two tabs are now broken. I believe the front one has been broken for a long time; the broken edge was dirty. The rear one appears to have been a fresh break, presumably happening during my efforts to remove the strip. So, only the middle tab is intact on that side. Since these strips sit down in the groove, I think only one intact tab might be sufficient to reinstall them. If not, I'm thinking double-sided tape might be an option for reinstalling.

On the left side, the middle tab is broken; I think the two intact tabs should hold the strip OK.

I thought this, too, but I soon realized that you will indeed require all three tabs. Missing any one will cause the strip to raise at that point. Mine were both broken in the middle and I tried that, bowed up in the middle. Switched to the ends and neither would stay down.

Good luck!