PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Problems

87blueaccorddx
11-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Hey, wen im accelerating going past 60-65, it starts going but then suddenly like stops accelerating and slows down then i accelerate again and then does the same thingg, then i can drive normally but after like 10 min the whole car will slow down by itself and i can accelerate anymore then it accelerates but the tops ad slows down more, WATS WROOOOOONG???? AHHHHH
thanx

Dutchboy
11-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Check you coolant and coolant temp when driving
Check the transmission fluid
Check the fuel filters.
Check engine oil just in case
Oh well are you auto or manual?
Also check the vacuum line to the secondary diaphragm
Also check the carb venturi's since no fuel will cause the car to die.
A loose booster venturi will cause problems when trying to accelerate, and while driving, you can use the process below to check for a loose booster venturi.
THE BOOSTER SHOULD NOT MOVE AT ALL, IF IT MOVES WITH FAIR RESISTANCE IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE A PROBLEM... BUT IF IT"S VERY LOOSE THEN IT MUST BE TIGHTENED

do those screw only hold the venturies on then A20A1??

87blueaccorddx

and do you have cruise on your car???
mabye theres something to do with that??

ACCORD EX
11-11-2002, 12:07 AM
why is the primary booster venturi screw is very difficult to get to.? didn't you mark it on the pic ?

MIKE

87blueaccorddx
11-11-2002, 02:26 PM
yea thanx alot, it was the coolant, i had none in my car, it was completely empty, thanx alot! it runs just like new now!

socal3rdgen
11-11-2002, 02:29 PM
holy shit you had no coolant. damn better keep up with you fluids. or you'll be sitting on hte side of the road. glad its fixed now.

A20A1
11-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Ahh, that was #1 on the list :D

Um, just a follow up... you may want to check for leaks (hoses/waterpump)... and make sure the fans are working... as well as the thermostat.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi Guys:

My 89 Accord is having a problem. When I reach 3,000RPM and beyond, the car studders. Doesn't matter what speed I'm going. I thought it might have been clogged fuel filters, but I have replaced those and the problem still remains. I also replaced the spark plugs. The cap & rotor are also new. What would you guys recommends I inspect? I thought it might also have been the fuel pump, however that was replaced about 60K miles ago.

Thanks for the help.

Claude

Bioforge
02-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I just got my car back from the shop from a similar problem....check your fuel injector grounds, and all your fuel based grounds....turns out mine came loose, and would cause it to kick in and out past 3krpm...hope that helps.

A20A1
02-16-2004, 11:57 AM
He has a carburetor... his sig says LX and DX, plus carb has the 2 filters.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I forgot to mention that I had replace the carburetor about 4 months ago. I doubt it's the carb, but at least I have a warranty on it.

Would the fuel sending unit be something to look as well? It's the original that came with the car. Today, the car stalled on me twice. On restart, I did have to crank it for a long time before it started.

Thanks,
Claude

A20A1
02-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Maybe the pumps giving out.

The fuel sending unit? you mean for the guage cluster low fuel light? I don't think that will effect anything, unless you believe your tank is empty when it says its full.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Maybe the pumps giving out.

The fuel sending unit? you mean for the guage cluster low fuel light? I don't think that will effect anything, unless you believe your tank is empty when it says its full.

hehehehe, that gauge sucks on my car now cause when i fill up my car, it says i have 3/4th of the tank left, stupid senders and stupid gauge.

Mike could it be the fuel pump relay? or is it just the cut off relay?

A20A1
02-16-2004, 07:06 PM
The cut of relay should have no affect... though the chiltons I believe tells you to remove it when testing the fuel pump... hmm.

accordlxi2.0
02-16-2004, 07:55 PM
what about air filter, that's what mine's was when it was clogged.