PDA

View Full Version : Motor Build-up

quagmire
11-10-2002, 09:53 PM
I've been thinking. Im at a point where I'm going to begin plannin the direction I'll take with my motor. The thing is, I haven't seen anyone around here whos actually built a naturally aspirated A20, or at least they havent been vocal about it.

So here's the plan: forged pistons (11:1 or 11.5:1), rods, cam regrind, headwork, and maybe intake porting. The way I see it, the A20A3 head needs quite a bit of work to be able to make power. At the very least the combustion chambers need to be reworked, as well as some port work.

As far as the other parts, I've heard that JE and Wiesco make forged pistons for us. Cam will be openloop or colt. Fasteners will be ARP if possible. Does anyone know of a place to get rods and additional places to get pistons? Also, does anyone know the specs on the openloop mild and wild cams? Will the stock ecu be able to handle these mods? Is there anything I'm missing? I'm new to imports; I had a 87 K5 before this. Sorry if these are questions that you hear a lot, but I've tried to go beyond the typical posts.

Thanks.

A20A1
11-10-2002, 10:07 PM
I'm still working on the a20 myself... I know funstick, justanothermike, and phyedux... all have N/A motors, well funstick I'm unsure about cause I think he had turbo too.

i don't think you can do much porting on the intake side or exuast side without increasing valve diameter first... and ask funsitck about the valve angle job.

Also ask carotman about the lude with the a20 motor... it was n/a built, but also ran with nitrous.

Scorpion88LX
11-10-2002, 10:26 PM
I respect your idea and I will probably do that, but I believ that you shouldn't expect to much out of the engine without forced induction of some kind.

Site
11-11-2002, 05:04 AM
guaynabo89 has crower rods in his car. Also has 10:1 JE pistons and a port & polished head. Has a lightened flywheel, adj cam gear & more. His engine is built and is N/A. He has 124 HP at the wheels (which is probably around 150+ at the flywheel). His is also a very sharp looking car!

MoonScryer
11-11-2002, 06:14 AM
guayabo80 also said he wasn't pleased with the actual amount of power gained. He said he hasn't done headwork of any kind yet, so that is probably hampering him. With good valve grinds and a good cam (proper for the compression ratio if going with hightop pistons), I think you could see 140 at the wheels, but I don't know about beyond that.