PDA

View Full Version : Losing spark somewhere on A20A4 --EFI

Greg
11-11-2002, 08:02 AM
My girlfriend's 1986 LXI (EFI A20A4) hatchback is losing spark somewhere. The fuel system is fine, but it loses power only SOMETIMES. I've felt the same symptom on other cars, and I'm pretty sure that there is weak or lost spark somewhere.

The thing sort of stutters/misses a little at idle until it gets really warmed up (1/2 hour or so), but at certain RPM's (and only SOMETIMES), it SERIOUSLY loses power. :wtf:

So I'm thinking there's a spark leak somewhere in the coil or wires or something.

Anyway, has anyone had problems with the ignition system on these EFI's? If so, what do you think I should test other than plugs (they're fine), wires (I think they're fine but I will look closer and check w/ ohmeter) and coil?

Last time I checked the advance it seemed to be working right, and I THINK the timing is right because I checked it a few months ago and it was OK. BUT I think that it might not advance/retard smoothly sometimes.

There is some red dust in the cap so I think the bearings are going bad. :burn:

Anyway, what do you all think I should do? I don't want to buy a new distr. I'll probably buy junkyard parts & rebuild w/ whatever is best from 2 distributors.

89lxi95zx7
11-11-2002, 08:12 AM
mine did same thing,it was a coil wire in my case.

Greg
11-11-2002, 08:33 AM
You mean the ignition wire from the coil to the distributor cap? Or was it one of the other wires on the coil (like the ones that go to the primary field connectors?

anchovies
11-11-2002, 11:11 AM
I would say probably the distributor.

rocky2
11-11-2002, 02:00 PM
If your suspect your losing spark currunt or arching (grounding). Look at engine wires with engine running in TOTAL darkness.

Greg
11-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Rocky2,

Yeah, that's a good idea. :omg: I'll look at it in the dark to see if there is an arc from the ignition wires, but can there be occasional loss of power from the distributor to the primary field on the coil that could also weaken spark from the secondary?

I mean, if that was the case then I wouldn't see an arc because the arc would just not be constant, right?

I must admit that I don't understand distributors like 100% (but I understand them basically). Like, I don't know what every lead on the igniter is for and stuff like that.

I'll probably start doing tests tonight.

rocky2
11-11-2002, 02:25 PM
You can put an old dwell meter across the leads off coil. Then when it starts missing you can see if meter fluctuates. The chip inside the distribter can be ready to die. Should be like 30 on dwell meter.

PortugalHonda
11-11-2002, 02:56 PM
maybe ur rotor is cracked or it could be your distributor....

ACCORD EX
11-12-2002, 02:36 AM
i would do an ignition tune up ! coil wire + spark plugs wires + sparks + inspect cap and rotor !

MIKE