PDA

View Full Version : Adding PS Fluid

HostileJava
11-11-2002, 08:53 AM
When adding PS fluid is there anything special that needs to be done, or do I just add it to the full line and close it back up?

87accordlxph
11-11-2002, 09:11 AM
Yeppers

Just fill w/ "Genuien Power Steering Fluid ONLY!!!" to the full mark shown on the canister. Go to the dealer to buy it. It's cheep.

That was an easy one! :D

-Mike

DanG86LX
11-11-2002, 09:26 AM
I might add: "HONDA Genuine Power Steering Fluid ONLY!!!" :D

87accordlxph
11-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by DanG86LX
I might add: "HONDA Genuine Power Steering Fluid ONLY!!!" :D

Oh yeah! thanks dude how could I have forgotten?! :D

markmdz89hatch
11-11-2002, 09:42 AM
is it really neccessary to use Genuine Honda p/s fluid? Why? What the diff. bet that and the generic shit? And, what side effects are there if you use that generic fluid?

HostileJava
11-11-2002, 10:06 AM
I already have the PS Fluid(got 2 pints from the dealership for like 2 bux). Just curios if it needed to do anything special. Thanx for your help guys.

jlaccord89lxi
11-11-2002, 01:33 PM
no man, just pull out the red cap on the resevoir and pour it in to the top line. Piece 'o' cake

jlaccord89lxi
11-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
is it really neccessary to use Genuine Honda p/s fluid? Why? What the diff. bet that and the generic shit? And, what side effects are there if you use that generic fluid?

When i was a rookie at all of this and bought my first accord, i put in Motomaster power steering fluid just to top off the reservoir and that small amount destroyed my power steering line. It may have been bad before this but that "non-genuine" fluid pushed it over the edge. One day i shut the car off after getting back from break at work and the engine compartment started smokin'. We figured out that it was power steering fluid leaking from the line down onto the the exhaust manifold. USE "GENUINE HONDA POWER STEERING FLUID" ONLY

Nospeed
11-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Wow...you learn something new everyday here! lol.

jlaccord89lxi
11-11-2002, 05:15 PM
yes that is true.

smufguy
11-12-2002, 08:26 AM
Well u dont have to buy it just from the dealer. There is only one to my knowledge that is specially manufactured for honda and acura cars that is like $1.97 in Walmart and 2.67 in Pep Boys. Its the same thing as the one from the dealership. As u know, u dont have to worry about the air bubbles because they eventually bubble up to the top anywayz.

The bottle Says HONDA and ACURA cars only. Thats what i have in my 4g and 3g and trust me, it never gave me a problem.

it takes about 3, 12oz bottles to fully fill up the system after u drain it completely. I did that cause my 3g pwr steering fluid was black as shit. The new fluid is really clear. Try taking the pwr steering resevoir off, run the car and the remainder of the fluid will shoot out thru the one from the bottom of the engine bay and turn the wheel until there is nothing coming out more.
THIS WONT HARM THE PUMP. cause its just for a few secs like 30 secs the max. Once ur done, turn off the car and put the cleaned resvoir in. connect the hose, fill it up with 24 oz first. Run the car. the fluid will splatter and the level goes down on the resevori. and then u will feel the steering smooth out in turn. Then the other 12 oz is used to top off.

Have fun and sorry for the whole long reply. I just got carried away and just getting a hang of this mac at college :D