PDA

View Full Version : Rust around fuel filler neck

Jreilly
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Would I have to fill this in with some type of body filler if I got the fuel filler neck replaced?

RAZR
09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Would I have to fill this in with some type of body filler if I got the fuel filler neck replaced?

UHHH no replace it with metal.

A18A
09-20-2013, 07:42 PM
wasnt there a recall for this issue? would be cool if you could get that fixed for free lol

RAZR
09-21-2013, 07:20 AM
wasnt there a recall for this issue? would be cool if you could get that fixed for free lol

There was but it depends on the year of your car. I have a early 86 model and my rust is so bad the filler neck isnt connected to any metal and honda says there is no recall on my car :/

Jreilly
09-21-2013, 02:11 PM

I know there was a recall for it (my car is an 87 hatch so it should be covered) but I was not sure about the body work being covered as well. Guess the worst they can do is say no.

Jafir
09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
If you find the recall TSB online, there is a part number for a plate that can replace a lot of that rust. More than likely the recall has already been "done" but you might still be able to get the parts. I had a dealer around 1999 or so re-do the recall on mine even though their computer showed it was already done. It was a goodwill gesture, but I doubt they would do that these days on such an old car.

Jafir
09-21-2013, 04:07 PM
And by "done" I mean that the recall only replacing parts if the filler was leaking. If it wasn't leaking, the recall was just an inspection and maybe some undercoating or something to keep it from rusting and leaking.

niles
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Same here, my filler is rusty too and the recall has been performed. It doesn't really cover the area we are discussing. I will try to find the replacement plate mentioned above, that sounds like a good deal.

Otherwise it will take a lot of work and butchering of another 3gee to fix it. The fender and wheel well come together at that spot so it's a big deal (to me) to replace. But I'm no body guy, which is why I am procrastinating.

niles
09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Also, Permatex rust treatment will at least keep the rust from getting worse.