PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of "Original Engine Management" O.E.M. ignition coil ?

AC439
09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Coil installed. See below.
-----------------------------

I have been reading and shopping online for ignition coil upgrade from my stock 86LXi coil. I happened to come across OEM 5195 at Amazon today. It has better review than Accel or MSD blaster so it drew my attention. The only thing I cannot find is the detail specs. There is also no mention in this forum as I have searched. There's also not a lot of info on internet. I have never heard of Original Engine Management till today. Anybody know anything about them? I figured out it is only ~$16 per coil and it looks like the Accel stock coil or MSD blaster (without those fancy color or graphics labels), I should give it a try.

My only concern is the primary winding resistance which it doesn't state in anywhere. I know the Blaster is about 0.7 ohms and the Accel is about 1.3 ohms. I don't want to go lower than 0.7 ohms so as to protect the power transistor in the igniter. I know Blaster SS primary resistance is 0.3 ohms and people have used it. But they may be using it with the additional controller (6a?). But I want to replace the coil only.

-AC

Pico
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
OEM is a division of Standard Motor Products, it is their cheaper alternative for the consumer that does not want to spend alot.
The company I work for is a distributor for OEM
Sorry I dont have any specs

g.frost
09-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, what's in a name? OEM always meant "Original Equipment Manufacturer". In this case Honda, or whoever supplied the original factory part to Honda. ...I guess naming your company OEM might elevate your parts quality image.

AC439
10-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Got that coil installed. I made a bracket and mounted it to the front of the brake line spider connection and below the fuse box. That space is just right for the coil to be placed vertically. The coil is filled with oil (not epoxy) so it is mounted vertically for proper heat dissipation.

Coil primary winding measured about 4.5 ohms, secondary winding about 14k ohms.

The car started right up after installation. Feels a bit smoother and more torque. (It is compared to the 27 years old stock coil that was replaced.)

I have NGK G-power single plat gapped to 0.044". This set of plugs was installed 500miles before the ignition coil change.

Only thing during installation was the negative stud on the coil broke off in the middle during tightening of the nut. I unsoldered the broken part and re-soldered the magnet wire right at the broken location. The stud was shortened but was still long enough to have the nut hold onto the wire terminal but have to do it without the washers. If it breaks again, it has to be soldered directly to the negative (blue) connection.

I don't have a comparison to the Accel or MSD blaster coils since I don't have them. But this coil is definitely bigger than the stock coil and so far seems to be working better. Next, I may want to try widen the gap of the plugs to 0.05" and see what happen.

My expectation of doing this is to improve fuel efficiency and will be able to tell after one or two tanks of gas......