PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Antena???

3G Jester
11-11-2002, 09:55 PM
i have an 88 dx hatch........does that have a power antena? i dont think so........i was just wodering as i sit her at 1 am i wanna put a power antena in. like in the trunk or front hood. i dunno. im gonna think about it.

smufguy
11-12-2002, 08:07 AM
There was another guy who wanted to put a CB antenna on the trunk. Hm.... thats interesting that a DX does not have pwr antenna. Well, if u really want one, u can put a genericantenna on ur rear quarter panel but it involves drilling and i hope ur not scared about it. And the other thing is getting long enough pwr cable and antenna cable for that (unless it does not come with one )

u sure as hell seiours about the front hood or did u mean front fender? I would go with the rear or even the side pillar like the stock. Look around in the junk. u migh find a good working pwr antenna on a 3g.

<<<I hate mac puters, i cant tye shit on this ahhh dammit>>p

3G Jester
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
ya ya fronmt fender. it was 3 in the morning when i posted that so iwasnt thinking. ya ---i was wonderinf why i dont have a power antena? the mast up top and then the cable going down the side to a motor behind the dash...but i dont know. no other red dx hatches out there?

smufguy
11-12-2002, 01:20 PM
hehehe, u got a switch near the e-brake handle right? could be ur mast cable got cut. I like our 3g antenna cause even in a carwash u can still listen to a cd and not have the mast up unlike other cars where the mast comes up no matter what ur listenin to.

3G Jester
11-12-2002, 02:43 PM
smufguy. that made no sense.

i under stood the car wash part. but how does a switch enar the ebrake have something to do with the most likely place for a motor (under the dash where the cable can run up the metal ...uh..support part that goes between the windshield and the window that connect the roof to the car..u knoiw what im talking about ....

HostileJava
11-12-2002, 04:01 PM
I have an LX-i hatch and no power antennea. I don't think they came with one.

3G Jester
11-12-2002, 05:34 PM
damn. what do u think Hostile---is it worth it? put it on an indipendant switch so it isnt up all the time?

Grant2k
11-12-2002, 06:18 PM
no DXs have power antennas. i don't know if you know about the 3gee power antennas but there is a switch for it next to the e-brake handle that allows you to put it up or down. the motor is still under the hood or in the pillar or where ever it is, i don't know. you don't have the switch next to the e-brake, but i think you have a panel to punch out if you want to put one in. that would be for the stock one anyway, which i don't like because it sticks up some amount even when it's all the way down. i think it looks a lot better down. what i do like is being able to keep it down when i'm listening to a CD or the radio as long as i get reception that way. and sometimes you can raise it up or down to find the best reception, which is a really nice thing to be able to do.

Immeraufdemhund
11-13-2002, 06:18 AM
Ok, i'm not bashing, just bear with me. Why would you want a power antenna? is it better than the normal one on top of our hood? I get terrible reception, but i think it's my radio. If you look into the thread "an idea about a new guage cluster" and read a little bit you'll see chris(dosh8er) posted a link to pauls site, and then yet another one that links to his website. Click on his website and one of the pics show were the power motor is for stock. The switch is by the ebrake like Grant2k said. If there was an advantage to getting a power antenna then i'd go for it. If you just want it for looks, i'd think a little bit before i did it. But like i said i'm not bashing, just asking.

HostileJava
11-13-2002, 06:41 AM
I really don't need one, I leave the antennea down as far as it will go all the time because I can still get all the stations I listen to fine like that and I listen to CD's most of the time anyway. It might be worth it though if your taking your car through the car wash alot and you don't want to have to constantly reach out and put it up and down.

Grant2k
11-13-2002, 07:11 AM
but even when it's down on our cars it sticks up and you can ususally get recaption that way like HostileJava said, so i woudln't worry about it.

smufguy
11-13-2002, 07:38 AM
reception is not dependent on ur antenna for the most part. its the reciver u got. The pioneer on my stock 4g had a crappy reception and it would go just blank at times. Then i got the new jensen after some jackass ripped my old stereo out and the jensen workds awsome. NO bad receptions and always clear sound. The advantage of having a pwr antenna that can be controlled manually is totally upto you. For me, i dotn want my antenna stickin up when i am listening to a cd, or a cassette. cause i know the antenna our 3g have tend to bend on prolonged exposure.

The switch on the ebrake housing or center console is part of the cabin wire harness. Its like asking me how the headlight switch on ur steering turns on ur headlights.

Immeraufdemhund
11-13-2002, 10:31 AM
well now that's a good reason. I might lookinto that, buti have a hatchback...so that could be interesting....maybe i could put it in my bumper and have it touch other cars..hehehe.

3G Jester
11-13-2002, 01:30 PM
ah. to hell with it i dont really need one. ibarely listen to the radio and its too much of a hastle for cosmetic purposes.

smufguy
11-13-2002, 07:22 PM
it depends man. Some ppl like me wanna keep the car in working condition in all the places which includes my antenna. The thing i do is grease it good so that the mast wont get stuck.