PDA

View Full Version : 86 accord, what are the cylinder head torque spec's???

massiveheadake86
09-28-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm about to re install the cylinder head on my 86 accord after replacing a lapping an intake valve. Dose anyone have the correct instructions for torquing the head gasket down? I think it found it was like 22 and 55 ft lbs or something like that but I need to be sure before I do it.:lol:

2oodoor
09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I think 20/ 40/ 60 make sure the holes are cleaned out so the bolts dont bottom out on debris or fluids

massiveheadake86
09-28-2013, 03:31 PM
ya but what is the sequence of torquing them?

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Download this (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php). Then look at p. 6-17. Yours won't be any different.

massiveheadake86
09-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Ive downloaded it and looked over pages 6-17 and it said almost nothing about the torque of the head gasket. Please be more specific with the pages

HLW
09-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Ive downloaded it and looked over pages 6-17 and it said almost nothing about the torque of the head gasket. Please be more specific with the pages

It is in the listed page.

From page 6-17 in the USDM 89 manual from the link Step 6:
Tighten cylinder head bolts in two steps. In the first step tighten all bolts and nuts, in sequense, to about 30 Nm (3.0 kg-m, 22 lb-ft); in the final step tighten, in same sequence, to 68 Nm (6.8 kg-m, 49 lb-ft). The listed page also has a diagram of the sequence used to tighten the bolts. If you opened the 86-89 master manual the same info is on page 6-14.

zenapup
09-29-2013, 01:02 AM
It is in the listed page.

From page 6-17 in the USDM 89 manual from the link Step 6:
Tighten cylinder head bolts in two steps. In the first step tighten all bolts and nuts, in sequense, to about 30 Nm (3.0 kg-m, 22 lb-ft); in the final step tighten, in same sequence, to 68 Nm (6.8 kg-m, 49 lb-ft). The listed page also has a diagram of the sequence used to tighten the bolts. If you opened the 86-89 master manual the same info is on page 6-14.

It is also page 63 of the actual pdf for quicker reference.

2oodoor
09-29-2013, 06:31 AM
I think 20/ 40/ 60 make sure the holes are cleaned out so the bolts dont bottom out on debris or fluids

Not meaning to provide misinformation but this is the way I have done it. The extra step of checking them at 40 helps eliminate an error in the first step in case one was missed at 20. 60 is higher than factory spec but I take into consideration the hardware set up you have as sockets on the torque wrench. You may be using deep well, 12 or 6 point socket, an extention or adapter. All of those will vary the actual torque applied because of flex.
If you have a thick impact type 6 point socket with little chance of flex then Stay close to 50-55.
I realize the torque wrench won 't click at the preset until the socket config has done all the flex it going to but tbis is just the way I do it. You may not even be using a click style torque wrench so again there is another variance
Most importantly make sure the gasket is facing the correct way, dowels in place and fitting into head as you set it,:and oil orifice in place at the center rear of head.
Hope this was helpfull

massiveheadake86
09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Thank you it is on page 63 that's exactly what i was looking for!

Dr_Snooz
09-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I'll confess that I tighten them in three stages too. Sometimes more. I don't over-torque though, unless I'm having head gasket issues. I've long wondered how much an extension affects final torque, especially with some of the cheaper tools that use soft, spongy metals.

Dr_Snooz
09-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Sorry. I had to look it up.

Adaptors Can Affect Your Readings

Yes and no. Whether you use a standard or deep socket isn’t an issue. Neither are adaptors to fit, for example, a 3⁄8-inch drive socket on ¼-inch drive ratchet or even short extensions. But anything that moves the head, or pivoting point, of the torque wrench away from directly vertical to the fastener being torqued can affect your reading.

This includes wobble extensions, or crow’s feet. Crow’s feet extensions are necessary on some Chevy SB2 heads and other race-only cylinder heads that put a priority on port location and performance over ease of installation. If you find yourself in a situation where you must use some type of horizontal extension on your torque wrench, consult the manufacturer to see if it offers any means of compensating for the change in leverage.

Torque Wrench Myths - Circle Track Magazine (http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/ctrp_1111_torque_wrench_myths/viewall.html)