PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing trim for new look.

1988accordguy
09-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey everyone, I have a 1988 accord Lxi in great shape with 100000 original miles. I'm looking to dye the wrap around trim on the front bumper, doors and back bumper. I found some highly rated dyes, and am wondering if I should get gray or black dye? What was it like from the factory? Here's a link two the dyes. Thanks in advance. Dye Application, Car Restoration, Vehicle Detailing Products (http://www.showroomnewproducts.com/car-and-truck-dye-application)

Legend_master
09-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Interested to see how this turns out, make sure to take lots of pictures. The original trim was black.

2ndGenGuy
10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm curious how this will look too. I am not sure how long a dye like that would last, if it's actually a permanent solution.

I actually wound up painting the trim on my 84 Accord with a dark grey color. It's lasted about 7 years so far and looks brand new still. Matched the brand new OEM door moldings that I bought for the car at the time. Of course, if you can't match it, you can get a close color and paint all of them. On my 89, I used a rattle can to paint all the door moldings and bumper trim. Even without primer, it seems to be holding up well so far to track use and abuse, and a bit of daily driving, and sitting outside in the rain and sun.

Dr_Snooz
10-01-2013, 07:54 PM
I tried fingernail polish remover on my trim and was rather impressed with the results. It was a small patch on my worst trim, but it took off all the white. It seems as if the white is some kind of oxidative build up. It will turn your wipe rag jet black as it comes off. With enough scrubbing, however, it all comes off. The rag stops turning black and the trim is left a very dark grey. A good vinyl dressing should complete the job and get the trim back to factory black (or you can still paint, dye or whatever). I think the oxidation is why the dying and painting never work. The paint sticks to the oxidation and eventually all flakes off. So far, all I've done is that one test spot. I have yet to tape everything off and finish the job but I'll do a proper writeup when I have, assuming I am pleased with the results.

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
I dunno... painting worked fine for me. If there is a layer of stuff flaking off, you would definitely want to sand it off before you paint. And clean the crap out of it. After all the years of various dressings and coatings and cleaners people have used on that, you really gotta clean the crap out of that surface and prep it really well.