PDA

View Full Version : Damn PePboys Starters!!!

joker2
11-12-2002, 10:26 AM
I tell you, you try and save a buck with remanufactured parts and they're not worth a damn!!! I've had this Pepboys starter for no longer than a year and here it is going out on me already..... The only lucky thing about the situation is that they have a lifetime warranty on the damn thing so the only thing I have to pay for is the labor.......:mad: :pissed: :mad:

Mike's89AccordLX
11-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Dude I hear you, my starter just went out and is still in the shop. I got mine from napa. I don't remember if it's remanufactured or not though. I have a 3 yr warranty. Funny thing is I just got it put in, in May of this year. How much would I expect for labor or how long would it take to put one in?

joker2
11-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Well, I was quoted a price of $65 for the labor so that's not that bad considering what they have to do to get to it but I'm still mad that the thing went out and it hasn't been in the car that long..... I used to take my car to a shop that only dealt with honda parts but the only problem with them was that when I got the bill it was always high!!!:wtf:

Mike's89AccordLX
11-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Yeah I went to the honda dealer to fix my carb and they said it just needed to be cleaned and have a new O2 sensor put in. I got the bill and it was $235 And the carb still ran like shit. So I through with it, I'm getting a new Weber 32/36 and having a friend that's a mechanic put it in.

joker2
11-12-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to hold off as long as I can because I have another A20 engine that's been overbored and the head has been ported and polished..... I've taking my time with building my other engine and it's not supposed to go in until after the new year..... I still need to get my new manual tranny, because I'm also doing a swap, new cam and b16 intake manifold so as you see that's why I'm trying to make this old engine last me until then but it's hard!!!

AZmike
11-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Do the starter yourself. Undo both cables then remove the two 14 mm bolts that hold it in.

joker2
11-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Is it easier to go in from the top or the bottom because I'm not trying to remove any axles or anything???:confused:

DBMaster
11-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Better to take YOUR starter in to a shop that rebuilds them. That should give you the best result.

AZmike
11-12-2002, 02:33 PM
The starter bolts into the upper part of the transmission. You work from above. You'll need some socket extensions to reach the bolts, but you don't need to remove anything except the plastic air intake tube. If your car is auto it might be a little different; I'm used to working on my 5-speed. The auto tranny is a little bigger and might get a little more in the way.

mig88lxi
11-12-2002, 04:25 PM
True, just go to the junkyard and get a starter. And you should do the shit ur self, save money and gain some knowledge for future 03 geez u might get

rocky2
11-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Always have a spare boneyard starter laying around that you brought to pep boys to see how many amps its drawing. Also a spare alternater that you picked up at boneyard then brought to autozone to test and was good. Comeon tis is basic mechanical stuff,brothers.

joker2
11-13-2002, 05:31 AM
That sounds like a good idea to hit the yard to find a backup Honda starter because these remanufatured ones are nothing but headaches...... Yeah, I know this is mechanic 101 but when you have a cousin who is a certified master mechanic, I never have to touch my car..... Don't get me wrong, I know my way around an engine, it's just most of the time I never have to get my hands dirty......:tongue:

Neuspeed87lx
11-13-2002, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by joker2
The only lucky thing about the situation is that they have a lifetime warranty on the damn thing so the only thing I have to pay for is the labor.......:mad: :pissed: :mad:

ya and the labor is gona cost like 3 times the amount the starter did:flame:

joker2
11-13-2002, 05:45 AM
Actually they were only gonna to charge $65 but that doesn't matter now because I've decided to do it myself....... I just hate being in the garage at night when I could be on the couch playing my PS2..........:mad:

Neuspeed87lx
11-13-2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by joker2
I just hate being in the garage at night when I could be on the couch playing my PS2..........:mad:

thats the life

joker2
11-13-2002, 05:51 AM
You said it!!!:super:

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2002, 06:20 AM
I just found out yesterday that the shop that's doing my starter is going to do the labor for free because it's been under 6 months since I had it replaced. So I do have to pay for the starter or the labor. I am a little happy but still pissed that I don't have my car back.

joker2
11-14-2002, 07:54 AM
OK, the starter came out without a hitch, now I just have to take it back to them so they can give me a new one- or lets say REMANUFACTURED!!! I think I'm still going to hit the yards to see if I can find an original honda starter.......:flash: