PDA

View Full Version : FGS Stop...

2oodoor
10-02-2013, 03:13 AM
STOP calling it Obamacare, at this point it's just inappropriate.
Ambiguous statement of my stance :)

2ndGenGuy
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Anybody got online to get any insurance quotes yet? My dad's health insurance was $800 a month last year. I'm curious to see what it will be now.

cygnus x-1
10-03-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm trying right now. It's perpetually busy.

EDIT: I have to say, they've done a fabulous job of duplicating the "working with the government" experience. The first thing you do when you go to the site is wait in line. It's just like the DMV!

C|

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2013, 09:02 AM
It's kinda like the launch day of a new MMO.

cygnus x-1
10-03-2013, 09:09 AM
They've really gone above and beyond. Now they're having technical difficulties.

C|

Dr_Snooz
10-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Someone I heard somewhere said to expect some big technical challenges with the exchanges. I think "CF" might have been mentioned.

2ndGenGuy
10-03-2013, 11:04 PM
CF? Is that short for cluster fuck?

2oodoor
10-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Canada Financing:idea:

cygnus x-1
10-04-2013, 08:06 AM
This morning I managed to get far enough to enter my name and stuff to create an account. But when I try to create an account it says the system is unavailable.

C|

cygnus x-1
10-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Oh what's this? On the third try at creating an account it actually went through! I have an account! Hooray!

Now I can explore my government healthcare insurance options. Wait... no I can't. Back to the wait in line screen. This really is like the DMV.

C|

cygnus x-1
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Not sure if my account was actually created or not. It won't let me log in. Tried the "forgot username" option to see if would email me my username. Nothing yet.

C|

2oodoor
10-04-2013, 01:21 PM
System bugged out and crashes...IT contractors furloughed ?

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2013, 08:20 PM
FYI: Surprise! Obamacare health insurance exchange websites don’t work; HealthCare.gov a total mess | Twitchy (http://twitchy.com/2013/10/01/surprise-obamacare-health-insurance-exchange-websites-dont-work/)

Roo, what does FGS mean?

2ndGenGuy
10-05-2013, 10:49 AM
For "gosh" sakes, I'm sure. :P

2oodoor
10-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Federal govt shutdown
Also that link addy looks strange. Look at the word 'doesn't'

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't consider it a government shut down until the TSA is furloughed.

cygnus x-1
10-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Still haven't been able to log in to healthcare.gov. Now I'm just getting errors like:

Gateway Timeout
The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.608377cc.1381167399.1d68fc5

Tried the "forget password" link and it says they can't find an account with the information provided. Awesome.

C|

Dr_Snooz
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
What do you bet that the system never works........but that you'll still get hammered with the fine for not signing up.

2ndGenGuy
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Our state's registry seems to be working fine. https://www.wahealthplanfinder.org Signed into it and everything. Went so far as "Submit my application" but I didn't wanna actually sign up since I've already got coverage though my work.

cygnus x-1
10-08-2013, 08:26 AM
I tried the state of Illinois page. All it does is ask you some questions to determine eligibility, and then if you're eligible it sends you to healthcare.gov. How stupid is that?

C|

2ndGenGuy
10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Maybe Illinois is one of the states refusing to set up it's own exchanges...

cygnus x-1
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Maybe Illinois is one of the states refusing to set up it's own exchanges...

That would be somewhat ironic, since Obama is from Illinois.

Yesterday I created another account and managed to get through the eligibility application. I'm not sure it was entirely successful though because I keep seeing this error that sort of hints at a problem with my application, but it doesn't just come out and say it. Now I'm working through the coverage application. It appears to be stuck though and I keep getting this blank screen.

This is crazy. I can go to ehealthinsurance.com and get plan options in literally 1 minute. It even has an option to select plans that are Obamacare compliant (meaning they're eligible for subsidies).

C|

cygnus x-1
10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Still no Obamacare. There appears to be a problem with my application but it doesn't want to let me fix it. Today I can't even log in. It just says "Error".

C|

2ndGenGuy
10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Well this is what a $400 million private contract will get you. We got screwed hard by the company who built this. I wish there would be repercussions for them, but I'm guessing there won't be. Projects like this need to have a clause that fines the company for all the downtime and problems. This should have been remedied in a matter of hours. Going on weeks like this is horseshit. Not to mention, the cost for building this should have been nowhere near this. A few million should have built it easily.

Dr_Snooz
10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Um, you didn't really expect Obamacare to work, did you? I mean, you didn't expect it to work for you, did you? The health insurers wrote the bill. Follow that money trail and you'll probably find that the exchanges are working exactly as intended.

Dr_Snooz
10-16-2013, 05:55 AM
FYI. Head fake! Is Healthcare.gov only an empty shell MOCKUP of a working Obamacare exchange? (http://www.naturalnews.com/042410_Obamacare_exchanges_programming_failure_moc kup.html)

cygnus x-1
10-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Honestly I didn't really think anything. I just wanted to see (for myself) if I could get cheaper health insurance through the exchange. As it turns out, by some miracle the website started working yesterday and I was able to see what plans I qualify for. I haven't had time to do a side by side comparison yet, but just by looking at the premiums it appears that the offered plans cost more than similar plans I can get through the "normal" channels. I can't say it's true for certain because each plan is a little different in what it covers, so it's hard to compare them directly. But they do appear to cost more.

So for the time being I'm going to reserve judgment. My gut feeling though is that lots of people's premiums will go up in the near future, which will spark a general negative attitude towards Obamacare.

Will I buy through the exchange? Probably not unless I find a plan that makes sense for me.

C|

2geeSEi
10-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Covered CA is working somewhat. Still many glitches. For those wondering, all of the plans offered through the exchanges are still underwritten through private insurance companies, and will be similar to, or the same as plans you can get outside of the exchanges. The only real reason to go through the exchanges is if you think you may qualify for a subsidy. For that, your household income must be below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (about 46k for individual or 62K for a married couple), and you can't have an offer for coverage through your employer that the employee contribution for employee only coverage is less than 9.5% of your wages. And for those that aren't aware, even if you sign up for one now, it won't be effective until 1/1/2014.

2geeSEi
10-16-2013, 10:34 AM
BTW, for my individual plan, my premium is going up by about $160/month for my wife and I for less coverage than we have now.

Oldblueaccord
10-20-2013, 05:40 AM
My first job that I had insurance offered was in 1992 when I worked for the Red Cross. Every year since then my employee offered insurance had gone up.....and it aint no more 5 dollar copays. I guess Ill blame Obama for that,and my stubbed toe too.

I think take a look at it and if you can get more for less get it. its what free market is all about.

2geeSEi
10-20-2013, 03:33 PM
My first job that I had insurance offered was in 1992 when I worked for the Red Cross. Every year since then my employee offered insurance had gone up.....and it aint no more 5 dollar copays. I guess Ill blame Obama for that,and my stubbed toe too.

I think take a look at it and if you can get more for less get it. its what free market is all about.

It isn't a free market anymore when the government dictates what a health plan has to look like. Yes, insurance goes up each year, but when it more than doubles in 3 years because of mandates, that is different.

Oldblueaccord
10-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Cost increases have been limited by the law.

I find that the people in my circle that are against it are already on medicade,care or dont have any and go to the emergancy room on Saturday night for a bellyache. Im paying for all that.

Time for people to start paying for themselves. Thats what the hubbubs all about.

2geeSEi
10-27-2013, 07:48 AM

I find that the people in my circle that are against it are already on medicade,care or dont have any and go to the emergancy room on Saturday night for a bellyache. Im paying for all that.

Time for people to start paying for themselves. Thats what the hubbubs all about.

That's the problem I have with it too. I was responsible and got a plan that was medically underwritten when I was healthy and picked one that didn't have maternity (since we were done having Kids), and that we paid a nominal fee for preventative care visits. Now we have to pay more now that they have to accept unhealthy people that chose not to get coverage when healthy (there are some exceptions, but that is not the norm), and now the govt. also says that my plan must include maternity, and there has to be $0 copay for preventative care. That isn't where it stops either. When people that make under 400% of the FPL (46K single, 62K couple, etc.) they get a subsidy in the form of a tax credit when they apply through the ACA exchanges. Where do you think that money comes from?

Dr_Snooz
10-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Um, you sure about that?

2geeSEi
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Dr Snooz, you are right. The cost increases have not been limited by law. The way it has worked is that each state's Dept. of Insurance had to approve any rate changes for all lines of insurance before companies could implement them. If the rate increases didn't appear justified, the insurance dept. could request the actuarial figures that were used in calculating the increase, then decide whether to approve them or not. Now there is a clause in the ACA that says that insurance companies must spend at least 80% of the premium dollars they collect on actual healthcare, or the must rebate the difference back to the subscribers. So really the statement that he made was not accurate for pre-ACA, but is now in a way.

Dr_Snooz
10-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately, the truth is rather different than the marketing. Health insurers are already expecting "robust" revenue growth from the bill (Despite Glitches, Obamacare Profit Windfall To Insurers Well Underway - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2013/10/26/despite-glitches-obamacare-profit-windfall-to-insurers-well-underway/)) and they aren't going to do that by giving away their product.

Remember that it's a 3,000 page bill with 10,000 pages of additional riders and that's a lot of detail for the devil to be in. We know that Obama's marketing rhetoric has routinely failed to match reality. We were told that we could keep our existing coverage. Yet 2 million people have already been booted off their plans and more are sure to follow (Obamacare: More than 2 million people getting booted from existing health insurance plans - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57609737/obamacare-more-than-2-million-people-getting-booted-from-existing-health-insurance-plans/)). We were told that Obamacare would lower the cost of health care. Yet now we learn that most people are going to see their insurance rates rise 62-99% (Double Down: Obamacare Will Increase Avg. Individual-Market Insurance Premiums By 99% For Men, 62% For Women - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/09/25/double-down-obamacare-will-increase-avg-individual-market-insurance-premiums-by-99-for-men-62-for-women/)). Some are going to see rates rise dramatically higher than that (Obamacare Quadruples Costs for Some, Rewards Others Who Quit Working | CNS News (http://cnsnews.com/commentary/hans-bader/obamacare-quadruples-costs-some-rewards-others-who-quit-working)). We were told that it would be an easy online web enrollment. Now we find that the site is highly unstable and an identity thief's dream (Beware of identity theft and fraud threats posed by Obamacare - National Identity Theft | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/article/beware-of-identity-theft-and-fraud-threats-posed-by-obamacare)).

We only know two things for certain. One, that if Obama says one thing, you can be fairly certain that the opposite is true. Two, that the health insurance lobby wrote the bill. We've only just begun to learn what this bill is really all about. The first month hasn't been pretty and I don't expect coming months to be any better.

Oldblueaccord
11-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Free market is much a misnomer. There is no true free market . My understanding is cost is limited per year. I never heard of these cafeteria health policies until this week i dont think they are offered in every state.

And i agree with snooze politicians will say anything to get elected. Bush sr. No new taxes speech is one of my favorites.

Edit: i think premeiums are limited to 9.5% of your income just looking real quick on line.